Author Topic: Bone Broadhead  (Read 14847 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Bone Broadhead
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
My son  P.K. and I decided to put old Betsy to good use,she is just waisting away up there .You might say , to just bones so we made some bone broadheads out of her.
How do you sharpen these type broadheads? With a file duh ! know how do I know when there actually sharp enough to do the job ? Cannot seem to get a good edge on them has anybody used bone broadheads before.

Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Kegan

Re: Bone Broadhead
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »
I made a few a year or so ago. Most of them were very poorly designed, and I wound up losing and breaking them. But. They were sharp. Just sharpen them like you would a knife or metal point, and then temper and resharpen. I never got them as sharp as steel, but I cut the back of my finger 'testing' just how nasty they'd be.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »
Kegan how do you temper them
                                       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:07:36 pm »
Move it back and forth by the heat until it barelyyyyy starts to turn brown on the edges. I've taken it too far and ruined about 1/8" of bone. If it still isn't as stiff as you'd like, you can keep filing/tempering until it's as sharp/hard as you like.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:52:22 pm »
helps to sharpen them from the tip back. very nice job. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »
  They will never get as sharp as stone. I've made some cutting, funtional heads by filing serrated edges, real short, alternating the angles all the way down the blade.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:47:28 pm »
I agree.. I have taken large game with bone heads.. and the serreted points cut much better through hide and sinews...good luck brother.. HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:51:04 pm »
I found a little experimental piece. It may not get as sharp, but you can pressure-flake bone, shell, etc. like stone to get a clean, serrated edge.

Offline BryanB

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:02:01 pm »
Here is one I made for someone who was going to hunt deer with it.
Never heard if he was successful.
Bryan

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:07:02 pm »
dang, that thing looks lethal! would you say any particular bone is better, like a rib or a leg? thats awesome though, there was one i saw at a rennasance fest that was reaal long, skinny, razor sharp. finished with some kinda varnish, looked great though, i personally thought they might work a bit better that a knapped head.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 10:56:09 pm »
Im useing cow rib bones
                             Dennis

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 10:56:55 pm »
i see, you think they'd be useless if they were cooked? i was eating chicken fer dinner today, eyeing the leg bone as a possible small broadhead, but i figured cooking it would make it pretty brittle. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »
i see, you think they'd be useless if they were cooked? i was eating chicken fer dinner today, eyeing the leg bone as a possible small broadhead, but i figured cooking it would make it pretty brittle. -jimmy

I've bitten clean through chicken bones. DOn't think that would make a good point ;)..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:59:08 pm »
 Dang, Keenan! :o What an animal. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline son of massey

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 11:23:01 am »
 i have heard the best bones are the leg bones of things like deer becuase they are dense as they have to put up with so much shock given the way deer run.   cow or horse leg bones would probably also be good becuase of the weight of the animal-the bone must be pretty strong-and again becuase of the way the animal runs.   the little i have tried with bone broadheads i found the leg bones to be the easiest to get flat sections of bone of about the right size to use.  not to say ribs wont work, but this is what i heard a long time ago. SOM