Author Topic: Red Elm Question  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Don

Red Elm Question
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:10:01 am »
Cut split and debarked a log several weeks ago.
I reduced one stave down on the band saw and put in the basement. hoping it will be ready to use next spring.
The books and others say that after debarking that's your back.
The sap wood[?] or white wood is about 1/2" thick then the red inner wood.
When I'm ready do I take it down to bow size and not worry about losing the red inner wood?
Or do I need to reduce the white to a thinner thickness and keep the red inner wood? I'm not sure on this.

Thanks Don

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Red Elm Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:54:39 am »
Don....if you feel really ambitious....you could always take it down so that you kept more of the Red Heartwood....but as a Rule....You debark....and thats it....the first layer under the Cambium is as strong or stronger than following a Ring....and a lot easier too!! I would let Her dry till Spring....and start making Shavings!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline benjamin

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »
Same here. Chasing a ring is often a pain.  I would shave the stave to about 1/8'' finished width full length, no narrowing for now, and get her bending about 6'' floor tillered. She should be dry in a month give or take depending on humidity and temperature where it stored. I took a rem elm stave from standing tree to shooting great in 5weeks. The trick is to get it floor tillered a bit before drying. Less wood to dry.

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:37:32 pm »
Thanks Guys.
That is what I was thinking just making sure.
Probably loose most of the heart wood. Except in the handle and inner 1/3 of the limbs.
The contrasting colors should end up looking pretty good.
Don

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »
The only red elm bow I've made so far only had heartwood left in the handle, the limbs were all sapwood. It's good bow wood, tough stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.