Author Topic: Getting Better  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Little John

Getting Better
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:13 pm »
I have been browsing thru the fourth edition of the bible and reading the parts I had skipped over, finally read the lessons learned from target archery chapter and think it is already helping. It really does pay to dot the I's and cross the tees.  Hope it helps me shoot better under pressure. I liked the part about holding at full draw for two seconds and and follow thru for two seconds after the arrow is in the target. As I think a lot of us snap shoot and don't realise that it causes a lot of problems. Any way it is well worth reading.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Getting Better
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:36:48 am »
 I will find my copy and read it as well.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:47:09 am »
Little John,
I agree.It is my favorite chapter in the book.We can build these things till we're blue in the face,but if we cant shoot em,it doesnt do us much good does it?Leastwise,if we are usein em to shoot game with.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:41:10 am »
Hehehe, to add dmy 2 cents...I have been on a quest for lighter and lighter arrows for the last year since I tend to hit low at 20 yds.  Then a few weeks ago I was shooting at a new target, an arrow net, and I was practicing my release instead of working on accuracy.  Turns out I was not following through, was dropping my bow arm.  Now all my arrows hit a little high! 

Go ahead, point and laugh, I'm used to it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:45:38 am »
Makes sense Kenneth - I think my style and form are in a class of thier own ;D. That is something I need to work on.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:58 pm »
So much of shooting a bow is mental. I think I know what I'm supposed to do, but struggle actually carrying it out sometimes. As for the arrow, I've been tending to lean more and more toward a heavier arrow combination because of better penetration on the animal. When 20 yards is about the maximum shot, the heavier arrow doesn't drop all the bad within that distance. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:56:46 pm »
I really liked that chapter, as well as the article in PA that it came from. One note though. On the top they show "proper follow through", where Reed Hamm pulls his drawing hand far back past his shoulder. That's not really a good idea, as any excessive movement of the drawing hand past anchor/release causes the string to be pulled elsewhere. I didn't realize this until I saw "Archery" by Howard Hill, the old 1940's short film, where he says to keep the drawing hand "...close to the face". It's cleaned up alot of my 'erratics', well,  at least I know why they're doing that now :).

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »
GregB's comment reminds me of Yogi Berra's "Ninety-five percent of the game is half mental". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »
Kegan,
That is not the case when done correctly.the drawing hand comes straight back as a result of ,proper back tension,after the release,has happened.It is a subconscious part of follow through,when opposeing forces are released.If you are push pulling and useing proper back tension to hold those opposeing forces,the result is the hand and or arm flying back,to some degree.Howard did it too,although not as dramatically as others.His elbow,did make a move to the rear,if you watch it real closely,and in slow motion.If the hand flying back,is used as a direct part of a conscious release,then you are correct,that it can and will result in string torque.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:12:43 pm »
As well as a serious pluck.It also can create a inconsistent anchor point,causeing inconsistant draw length,with resulting spine issues.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:31:07 pm »
What I was mainly concerning was the fact that his hand was past his right shoulder. I laned my book to a buddy of mine so he'd get an idea how to shoot. He was pulling his hand all the way back, which fudged his release up (so his final draw was about 2 1/2" longer than his acutal draw- more than the bow I built could handle). Besides that, Asbell's "follow through" got me into the idea of making sure the hand goes back, even if it isn't a straight path. Whcih lead to sloppy shooting :P.