Author Topic: stone tool, edge holding ability  (Read 3470 times)

Offline ozy clint

stone tool, edge holding ability
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:56 am »
gday everyone, i've never knapped before in my life, so i don't know much. please forgive my naiveity. i've been shooting traditional for about 9 months now. i'm in love with it. my curiousity with all things primitive is growing rapidly and would love to one day hunt with a selfbow and primitive arrows. my question is this- what is the edge holding ability like on stone knifes and arrow points. does the original edge remain lethally sharp for years of normal use or do they require a 'touch up' now and then? thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: stone tool, edge holding ability
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:06 am »
  If you mean" normal use" as in sticking stuff, they will get dull or broke. If you mean just carrying them around a few years in your quiver and not shooting them then they would be fine. They might get chipped a little but that would just make another sharp edge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:05:20 am »
Stone doesn't hold an edge like steel-that's one reason steel is in common use. It depends a lot on the type of stone, too-something like rhyolite  or raw chert willl hold an edge longer than softer, heat-treated chert. Like Eddie said, a break often exposes new sharp edges. It's not much trouble to resharpen them, either. You can resharpen hafted points without much work. I carry a really fine-tipped pressure flaker in my hunting stuff, it only takes a minute to run a series of micro-flakes down the edge of an arrowhead to touch it up.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:19 pm »
i thought that's all you would have to do.
do arrow heads snap very often when shot at game? how do they hold up with rib/scapula hits?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:18:18 pm »
 It depends on the angle and how thick your points are. Marc shot one through the skull a few years ago and got remarkable penetration. There is an article about it in one of the back issues. I shot a hog a couple of years ago through the left hip and the point came out the right shoulder near the neck. It was made from Bern's Obsidean.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:34:55 am »
glass style points, as well as chert, have a tendency to break easier after a rib hit but it creates an incredibly damaging edge that is now stuck in the chest of an animal. as the animal runs it is tearing itself up inside. a well placed shot with a stone point whether its glasss obsidian or chert do more damage than any steel point made. peace

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:52:06 pm »
Do what I like to do. Haft a bunch of them to foreshafts. Then you have reloads for your arrowshafts. Check your state laws first though. This may be illegal to hunt with. But from what I hear on hog hunting anything goes in TX! Can you chime in on this one Pual?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill