Author Topic: Bowyers Bible 4 question ???  (Read 2962 times)

Offline wakosama

Bowyers Bible 4 question ???
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
"Trapping" the back of a bow is mentioned several times.  No definition or explanation I can find.  Can anyone explain it in detail please?  Thanks.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Bowyers Bible 4 question ???
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:55:57 pm »
Trapping is short for a trapezoid cross section where the back is less wide than the belly.  This cross section is used for wood that is strong in tension and very weak in compression.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:47:24 pm »
Trapping is created by cutting small facets off the corners of the backing material. By small facets, I mean usually an eighth of an inch or so. Works great for hickory or bamboo, both of which excel at tension. Most bows do much better if you round off and eliminate all square edges. Square edges concentrate pressure, and are weak spots,which are more prone to lifting a splinter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:08:01 am »
I have used trapping on boo backed bows when I realized the bow was taking too much set. This reduced the tension strength and lessened the set of the final bow. You can also use it with self bows if you want to use a less appropriate design for a particular wood.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline benjamin

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:26:54 pm »
Wouldn't trapping do the same thing as using a crowned stave? Here we've scientifified strength to whatever ratios and come up with the same OLD design Adam probably used. Just goes to show you can superanalyze something or just go with tradition and get to the same conclusion. "Primitive" doesn't mean "stupid".

Offline wakosama

Re: Bowyers Bible 4 question ??? Thanks and...?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:34:26 pm »
Thanks... I understand.  Now... say I'm using boo back.  Been advised to taper backing to sharp edge at the side of the limb so thickness is less at tips, alot of work...  Instead: 'trapping' = I keep the boo a constant thickness  following the limb profile then bevel it narrower on the back.  Sounds easier with hand tools, after the bow is glued up, and can be part of limb tillering... maybe.

So... do I 'trap' just the whole thickness of the backing, or the whole thickness of the limb, so the belly wood is also 'trapped'.  Sounds like only the backing...

I can get detailed if advised.

Thanks

Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:02:58 am »
You need to pre shape the boo then thin it to get it thin enough its full length. You can still trap the bow by making the belly wider than the backing. Trying to cut corners because it is a lot of work will end up in broke bows and frustrated bowyer. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC