Author Topic: Ash Flatbow Tiller Check  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

Ash Flatbow Tiller Check
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:02 pm »
Hi all -

I seem to have issues with ash taking a large set.  The ash is in fact white ash and it has been split and stored for about 12 years now and has been roughed out for about 3 years in the house in a closet.  I know that ash can hold on to water but I would think that by now it should be plenty dry.  The spring growth seems about par for ash.  This one is 66" with 2" at the fades until mid limb and then tapering to 3/4" nocks.  I am trying to be more careful with tillering but I am wondering if maybe I am not getting the basic tiller for a flatbow?  Am I not taking enough advantage of the wood near the handle?  I tried the tempering technique that I have read on this site and I have been suprised that it does make a bit of a difference.  Every little bit helps right?

Thank you for any assistance!
Josh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Ash Flatbow Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:44:23 pm »
Nice looking bow, IMHO.  What is it drawing?  You say it has too much "set"?  How much does it have?  Heat treating might help.   Lots of experts here, count on some good ideas. 

piper

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
I have finished 3-4 ash flatbows that came out 55-63# that had about 3-4 inches of set.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »
Looks to me like you're well on your way. If you want to keep set to a minimum... don't overstress the limbs (never pull past intended final draw weight), make the right design for the wood you're using (looks to me like you've done that), start with properly seasoned wood (I'd say you've done that, too) and teach the bow to bend evenly. Your tiller looks OK so far. Your right limb is maybe a bit stiff. You are right, get the limbs bending at the fades and then midlimb, and then bring the tips around last. For me, 3/4" tips are way too wide. Causes a lot of hand vibration, and slows the bow down. Don't forget, a bit of set is OK (an inch, or so). It makes the bow smoother to shoot, and a little more forgiving.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:40 am »
Tiller looks fine to me. The only thing I can say is to take time to exercise the limbs during each step of wood removal. The dimensions sound good. Narrow the nocks a little to increase arrow speed only if that is a concern to you.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:04 am »
Don't pull it any further than it takes to expose a problem. You have a few. Right limb needs to bend more mid limb on. I think it needs to bend a little more just past the fades.  It's stiffer right now than the left. Going to look at the left now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:45 am »
Left limb needs to bend more near the handle. I've spent hours working wood at that location and teaching it to move. Check tiller frequently and exercise the wood between removals. Patience. Looks decent but you are at a point in your bow making when you can really do a nice tiller and cut down on set. All of this assumes the stave is dry. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:52:23 am »
agree exactly with george. but he has a lot more experience and done a lot more.

on left limb you have a dark spot maybe 10 inches out. looks to me like it is close to hinging and bending a bit to much just a few inches toward the handle here. I would come in approx 4" from the dark spot and leave that alone and work the point between here and fades on left. sloooooow...

on right limb you have another dark spot. carefully work between that and fade just a bit...

and as george said the right limb mid to outer just a bit. JMO
luck
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »

Thanks to everyone for your input.  I spent hours looking at this flatbow until I was cross eyed, Jawge gives me some pointers and I go back and say, "Why didn't I see that before!"   :D  Thanks Jawge!

I am getting close to finishing this ash flatbow.  I am drawing about 50# at 26" inches right now.  Set is the best I have done with ash thus far.  I am at 1 3/4 set after unstringing.  Which isn't the greatest but isn't horrible either...  I am starting to learn that white woods seem to seperate the men from the boys.  Osage will stand alot more abuse while tillering and will also tolerate more of an uneven tiller without taking gobs of set.  If you can make a low set white wood bow everything else is a cake walk.  It's like learnig to shoot a flintlock and then picking up a .30-06 with a scope.

Regards,
Josh