Author Topic: A treasure of arrow heads lost.  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Dale

A treasure of arrow heads lost.
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:59:06 pm »
My son-in-law sent me an e-mail this week that I would like to share.

"I just heard something that almost made me sick.  A girl that I work with came into work today after being off last week because her granddad died.  Well she said that they had to clean out his garage yesterday because his wife didn’t want to see any of the stuff.  So they took loads of stuff to the dump, just to get it out of there.  She said that he had 4 boxes of arrow heads that he had picked up over the years in his fields.  Her dad took some of them but then the rest fell out of the boxes so they put them in a wheel barrow and threw them in the dump.  I was like “you do know those are worth money don’t you”?  She was like no they are just Indian heads they aren’t new ones or anything, she thinks that they were just rocks.  She said that they probably threw away 1000 or more in the city dump."
My sons got down right angry when they heard this, I groaned in misery. >:( 

Besides the value that they would hold to us "wanna-be" Cave People, aren't they worth at least a few dollars apiece? ? ???

I guess we can all go arrow head hunting in the dumps south of Nashville.

I thought that I might spread the anguish a little.

Dale

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: A treasure of arrow heads lost.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:09:20 pm »
Just rocks :o What a shame :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »

Is she blonde, and wears shoulder pads?

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:21:58 pm »
i'll bet she also ends sentences with "tee hee hee" and a side to side headshake  :D

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:46 pm »
  Well.. I sold a 2"er,  6 years ago for $2100. It's in the arrowhead book "The Best Of The South", listed for $2400. Some of those big Cumberlands  from Tenn. are worth a lot more.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:03:44 pm »
Yup, that's a crying shame :'(. I've heard similar stories but not that big of a collection. Depends on what kind of points were in there - I've seen some listed for $30,000 plus and heard of one selling for around $80,000. Sheesh...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:21:08 pm »
thats a shame, and to think i have never found a point....and i look all the time, lake beds, washouts, contruction sites...i just dont have anyluck...and she threw all those away....if i go looking in nashville i might find the motherload all at once though. ;D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:25:22 pm »
I have a friend of Mine that has been collecting Arrowheads and other Points and Tools for over 30 years.....in His House alone ....His collection has been estimated to be worth well over 300,000 dollars....but Kenny would never part with even a broken Point....He will go to His Grave with them!!! His House is like a Shrine to Native Americans....the Walls and every Piece of Furniture that will hold a Piece is covered with Display Cases....it is Awesome.....I cant believe that in this Day and Time....these People were so Naive to think that these Artifacts were just worthless Rocks....how Ignorant can One be???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dale

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:03 pm »
I don't personally know this woman, but she is unquestionably blonde at heart ;D.  I'll tell my son-in-law to log on and if he thinks she can take it, to show her this string and see what she threw away as worthless.

I guess there's no need in crying over spilled milk.  Too bad this isn't a glass of milk instead of thousands of dollars worth of irreplaceable artifacts. :(

I loved the orangutang!

Dale

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:09:12 am »
Monetary value aside, its a shame that the historical value wasn't even considered not to mention that
they were her grandfathers now that to me is disrespectful.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 10:40:49 am »
Kids now a Days......Buy them the Books.....Send to School............and they.........well you know the rest of the Saying!!!!!!!!!

>:(

O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 11:37:13 am »

Well If his wife wanted to just get rid of all the stuff,  she at least should have known the value, or at least the historical significance of the collection, due to the time it took to collect them, and the personal value to him.  I get the feeling perhaps the old Gentleman was not too eager to stick around this world too much longer, because his wife very well could have been a B....h!!
I feel the same way about Clayton Moore's wife.  He is the one who played the Lone Ranger on TV with Jay Silverheels ( Tonto).  His last request was to be buried with his hat, and mask.  She said it was ridiculous, and did not follow his last request.  What the heck, it isn't like he is being displayed in her living room!  It was his last request, because, he believed in the morals of the Character he played.  Again, I say, B...h!!

Wayne