Author Topic: Hi new need help choosing bow  (Read 4162 times)

vCo2v

Hi new need help choosing bow
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:40:08 pm »
Hello,

I'm new to the board and this seems like a great place to exchange ideas.

I'm wanting to purchase my first traditional english long bow. I've done quite a few research and I've found two that I'm interested in.

They're both in my price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAMINATED-LONGBOW_W0QQitemZ120174241935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Archery?hash=item120174241935&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

From an ebay lister and the total w/ shipping would be around $150

http://www.woodbows.com/bamboohickoryelb.html

Would be around 180 w/ shipping.

Which of the two would be a better choice Laminated (slight reflex) or Bamboo Backed? Or is there any other bows that any of you would recommend near that price range that would be a better bow? I'm looking at around a 60-70lb Draw weight.

Thank you in advance for reading my question   :D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hi new need help choosing bow
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:16:38 pm »
If it is an English Longbow you are after you need to buy the second since the first isn't an English longbow, it is a flatbow or American Longbow if you prefer that term.  To e-bay bow is priced at $59 without shipping and that is about what it is worth.  It bends way to much in the middle and will probably take a lot of set. Ill bet it isn't real comfortable to shoot because of the tiller. I wouldn't pay the shipping to get it personally. This is just my oppinion, but I don't want you to be unhappy with your choice so I am being brutally honest.  Without seeing the second bow drawn I cannot give a fair oppinion of it.   

You really could make one yourself.  It isn't that difficult and we would be more than happy to walk you through the process.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vCo2v

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »
Thanks Justin for the quick reply and opinion.

I had the thought about making my own bow, but I don't have any tools what so ever, and I figured by the time I gather all of the tools and wood necessary it might cost me more than buying one that is made by someone else. Or is my assumption entirely false?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:24:47 pm »
I second making your own, many of the fine folk that advertise in Primitive Archer magazine offer
kit bows that are 80% done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:36:27 pm »
Draw knife @ pawn shop --- 25.00
Set of scrapers              ---  15.00
Premade string              ---- 15.00

Shooting a bow made with your own hands  ----  PRICELESS

John

Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »
in reply to john:

Used ferriers rasp: $0, just ask a person who shoes horses

Hatchet, machete or big knife that someone you know will let you use or just give you: $0

Stave from the woods, or local tree trimmers: $0

Your own bow, made with your own hands, and the skill to make as many more as you'd like: do I need to say?

As compared to $50-$5000 for a bought bow of questionable quality, the question is clear. At least to me.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

vCo2v

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:23:26 pm »
so all of you recommend that even though I have little to no woodworking experience, and no tools.
That I should make my own bow rather than purchase one from here
http://www.woodbows.com/bamboohickoryelb.html ?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »
How much do you like archery?  How long have you been doing it?

If you are new to everything, then I recommend buying the bow from the site you mentioned.  If, however, you have woodworking experience, have practiced archery in the past, have access to free wood (back yard, woods, etc), or are good at making things...then yes, make your own.
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

jape

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:12:34 pm »
Yes, if you are 'handy' then have a go, there are a number of buildalongs around on here and also http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery-plans.html

Otherwise get that 'boo bow, it'll do well to start for the first year or so while you get frustrated and make all the mistakes! Get weight and spine matched arrows, first time - pay a bit more for such a set to give yourself a chance while you learn. Don't get broadheads, lol.

My biggest concern is that you are going straight in at 60-70# ::) Not feasible for 99.9% of the population.

Unless you are very fit and work out regularly including the correct back muscles, you will stuff yourself up instantly and probably ruin your back and shoulders for life and rip off your finger tips.

If you are reasonably fit in an ordinary non-athletic way, then start at 35 to 45# tops. Such a bow will throw arrows well enough for target shooting up to 50yards or more, and will easily kill small game, even deer when you are good enough (you won't try more than 25 yards), or humans! Otherwise you will never find form and never get accurate enough to use a 60/70# bow on a grizzly (which is all you would ever need it for).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 06:31:27 pm »
i go with the majority here, make your own

before i started doing this i had very very little wood working exoerience,only in jr high school which was a loooong time ago.
i have made several bows,some from kits,some from staves( a piece from a log ),some have turned out wonderfully,others not so well. heck i even break them.
but there is nothing more fun than shooting a bow that you made your self,and not to mention that you gain skills to make yourself a new bow whenever you crave to have a new bow,thats gotta be the best part right there.

as far as tools go,minimal investment,and as some said you could even get some from free if you know people.
heck you can use a piece of glass or steel for a scraper,or a knife as a scraper,a rasp is nice but not completely neccassary.
remember our ancestors didnt have tool boxes full of tools,they used what nature gave them and what they had on hand.
nothing wrong with a kit bow,my first bow was a kit from RUDDERBOWS ARCHERY(they advertise here also),alot of jims kits come with a scraper and tiller stick to get you going.

good luck,you can do it

peace,
                                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline woodenwonder

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:07 pm »
If you have the basic tools and a place to build it, I'd recommend the classic $6 red-oak board. There are plans all over the bowyer's sites. It was an incredibly rewarding experience. And it what got me hooked. Gary

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:52:05 pm »
  I suggest you make your own bow also. If you have no tools ,look at the survival Thread at the top of the page.  It doesn't take much to make a piece of wood bend in the middle and fling a stick. After you make a few, they just fling'em a little better. There are plenty of people on here to help you along, even with tools and materials along with advice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

vCo2v

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:17 pm »
 :) I guess I'm going to just go for broke and make my own elb

Wish me good luck.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:30 pm »
Thats the attitude, lots of experienced bowyers on here so don't hesitate to ask questions :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

vCo2v

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 02:18:30 pm »
Is a drawknife the only tool that I would need for crafting a bow? Whenever I look at pictures or videos of people making bows I see this huge machine that they use to slide the wood along. I have no idea where to go or how to use one of those.