Author Topic: Some new Atlatl stuf  (Read 6558 times)

GlassKnapper

Some new Atlatl stuf
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:59 pm »
Here are some darts I have begun working on, I tried out some of LongFletches point ideas for two for the two bamboo darts(thanks). The other two are unfletched poplar coupled scarf tubes to oak foreshafts. All points are cherry, i use these for just throwing around the yard. Just thought i would share these and maybe inspire some new ideas.

GlassKnapper

Re: Some new Atlatl stuf
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:54:25 pm »

The First one is Iron Wood with a deer antler spur and an antler dart rest, the second is all Maple.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:43:29 pm by GlassKnapper »

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:26:35 am »
Looks like you have been busy too.  Those are looking really good.  Are the oak foreshafts tapered into the head or just butted in?

GlassKnapper

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:04 am »
The points have  a half inch hole that is about three inches deep, at the bottom of that hole i drilled through thes side of the point with a really small bit to allow the excess glue to escape when i put them together. The oak shafts are cut at a really sharp angel, and the same is done on the poplar shaft, then glued, and wrapped with a scarf tube. Now i need to reinforce this with sinew.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:45 am »
I had the bright idea of gluing just one end of the scarf tube so it would stay on, and still be able to pull the other end out for take down darts.  It did not work too good.  They are glued together.  I am going to redo them and try to work with the spine some.  They are really floppy when I throw them.  Floppy as in they bend into a horseshoe.  Not good.

GlassKnapper

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:20:34 am »
haha, now thats funny :D i just made a new jig last night for cutting the angel on the darts, some im off to get more dowels and try to make some better ones today!

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:21:16 am »
Love the points on the darts.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:35:15 am »
wow, great stuff!

i huess i should slow down and make my stuff look better....as i just make and use asap.

jamie

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 09:46:06 am »
Cool darts and Atlatl's GK! something I've yet to tackle. All my buddies think I'm kinda "out there" for making my own bows and arra's - they really want to see me kill a deer with a spear, hehheh ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

GlassKnapper

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:27:55 pm »
Just made some take down darts the other day. Id like to try my hand at hunting with them too!

AKAPK

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 03:23:57 am »
those are tuff dude.PK