Author Topic: Hawthorne Flatbow - Not for BOM  (Read 11722 times)

Offline robbsbass

Re: Hawthorne Flatbow
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:26:25 am »
Gordon you have done it again with another beautiful bow and one to be proud of. The colour and the wraps really set it off.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 11:46:37 am »
holy crap gordon..that is a master peice...that is great work...i really think you should  give up the day job and make bows. ;D...so,what is hawthorne...i will have to look that one up...thanks for sharing. john

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 11:55:31 am »
Beautiful bow. The dye job really sets it off.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 12:30:09 pm »
Gorgeous! Glad to see hawthorn being used. I'm working on one right now and am impressed with this piece of hawthorn.
Great candidate for BOM.
Pay attention, everybody, to how Gordon takes great pictures. Closeup, good light,  and no messy workshops and laundry in the background.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline JBL

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:38:02 pm »
Now that is a pretty bow.  I have never seen hawthorne used before, but than again I am pretty new at this game.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51:22 pm »
Keenan, I firmly believe that the fixing of problems is a important as the building. I’ve examined a few bows that John Strunk has “reconditioned” and you cannot even tell that they have been repaired – that’s what we should strive for IMO.

Thank you Rick. It is not necessary to remove wood under the wraps. The wraps have no effect at all on the tiller. 

Thank you Dana. I’m not sure I have much in the way of artisitc ability, but I do pay attention to the details. I got a little of that from my father who was a master woodworker.

Thank you Tracy and BH for the compliments.

David, the frets are localized on the edges and do not extend across the limbs so I think I’m okay after I fixed the tiller. But to be safe I reinforced the areas where the frets occurred with rawhide. I don’t know what species of hawthorne it is, but it grows in abundance along rural roads in Oregon’s Willamete Valley. I did not have any trouble drying it at all – I just split the wood and removed the bark immediately after harvest. No problem with checking.

Thank adb, these sapling bows can be harder than they look to bring to tiller. Don’t give up.

Thank you George, that’s a fine compliment coming from someone as knowledgeable as you.

Mattco, I used bowstring serving as the wrapping material.

Thank you Robb for the nice compliment.

Thank you John. There is hawthorne all over the place near where you live. You will find it growing along almost any rural road. You can distinguish hawthorne by all the sharp spines on the branches – be careful when you cut it!

Thank you John, hawthorne does take a dye nicely.

Thank you Don. I am a little particular about how I photograph my bows. I believe that after pouring your heart and soul into a piece of work you owe it to yourself and the community to present it in the best possible light you can. And with modern cameras and software it’s not really that hard to take a decent picture.

Thank you JBL. Hawthorne is not as commonly used as some of the other white woods – but I’ve seen a few others make very nice bows from it.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »
Another incredible bow Gordon. I like everything about it.  8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:06 pm »
Wow, Great bow Gordon. It looks like a shooter. If you still have that bow when I get down there I would like to shoot it and any others you have laying around. Greg

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 05:45:32 pm »
Beautiful bow Gordon! You definitely have the touch of an artist in you!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:55 pm »
That's a beauty! All around nice job!

Jason

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
 That bow is beautiful, in a rugged, primitive way. Outstanding job, Gordon with a challenging piece of wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jbell

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:16 pm »
Outstanding!! Pictures are excellent. Thanks for posting your bows, can't get enough of them.
Justin Blunt

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:32 pm »
Thank you Pat, I appreciate the compliment.

Greg, you’re always welcome to shoot any bow in my collection. I’m looking forward to having you down here again. Let’s see if we can find some time to make some shavings soon.

Thank you GregB and Jason.

Thank you Eddie, these sapling bows can really grow on you.

Thank you Justin. It’s good to see you posting again.
Gordon

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:39 pm »
I gotta say, that is one nice lookin bow. I never built a saplin bow before, but that sure makes me want ta try, fer sure. The tiller looks good to me. I must admit I was suprised at the poundage that saplin gave ya.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

AKAPK

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 02:52:27 am »
Oly smoke Gordon thats spectacular I'm Impressed.Great photos Also.Phillip :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:56:13 am by AKAPK »