Author Topic: In the Shadow  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

In the Shadow
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:47 pm »
In the shadow of Mike Hawk Huston and the dark timber, canyons, and sage brush ridges of Wyoming for a couple of hunts!  In all my years I have never witnessed a country with more spirits of the past, artifacts of centuries gone by.  Put Hawk and his hunting partner and wife, Stacey, in that environment and you will experience hunting on a level equal to hunts of yesterday.  Hawk has the far seeing eyes of an eagle, the instincts of a cougar, and the respect for his quarry of our past red skin brothers.  Rutting crazed bulls and in their way of thinking, not enough cows to go around, makes for hair raising excitement.  Laying hidout in the deep sage hoping the huge bull bellowing on the steep hill just above me doesn't want me for an antler rub!  Hawk is among them looking for a bull of a lifetime and passing the others for future hunts.  Darkness slowly descends on a day when no elk were taken and a memory etched on my mind.  I only wish each of you could someday hunt with Hawk!  WW
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: In the Shadow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:39 am »
Sign me up!!! ;D ...but only if you are there too, WW.  ;) 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »
Good story! At least we can share the hunt with you two through your written words. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:38 pm »
Thanks Joe, you are welcome in my camp anytime... Pat... your medicine arrow is still in my quiver, along with a stone knife from Watcher, and a quiver I made from a buck predator caller harvested (Lloyd Beere)... there are always good medicine traveling with me on my hunts...elk opens up again on the fifteenth of Oct. can't wait to stalk the high country in deep snow... thanks for the kind words Greg... Hawk   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »
I am feeling it! Thanks, WW
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Cromm

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:33:04 am »
Great words.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:37:30 pm »
 Thanks for sharing WW. I have many years of those same kind of memories and it's hard to find anything to compare to memories of elk screaming while on the hunt. I am writing a story to share this years hunt with PA friends as well and reading this is all the more encoruagement. Thanks  ;)

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:46 pm »
Hope you guys have lots of luck.Hawk and Wolf Watcher are super people and I,ve had the pleasure of meeting and spending a little time with both of them.The area they call home is some downright beautiful country.Did you try that maple syrup yet Hawk?Have A great day!!!!!!!!!!!Lloyd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:23 pm »
I loved the syrup brother...  we save it for sunday flapjacks... hope your season is going well.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston