Author Topic: info needed on the steps of how to tan a hide  (Read 8566 times)

Offline primitivepaulette

Re: info needed on the steps of how to tan a hide
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:03 pm »
I do like Pappy and Richard do like the frame for softening a LOT! I have a ladder rung that is metal and rounded on the ends that I love to use for a staker to work and stretch the hides.. helps a lot!

Richard.. I like that cabinet scraper thingamagij.. that is awesome looking.. will have to try one of those some time.. Hopefully one can still find those things?

Pappy.. Good idea on the sanding. Lots of folks that give skins to me also make some slashes.. some don't but maybe half do! It is a good tip I will have to try that if I do decide to follow through on some like that.

Offline aaron

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:38 pm »
keep in mind that n8tr is using a chem tan process, which is quite different from the brain tanning process being described by everyone else here. I have no experience with chem tanning.
just google "hide tanning formula trappers outpost" and you'll see the product he is using.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:28 pm »
I have reloaded the water in the bath.hope tomorrow I will see visible slip or friday. I have used the solution on fox pelts and they have come out really nice and supple. Yes they are thinner leather but it is a citric acid based solution. I also plan on smoking the hide when done for the rich colour and water repellent qualities. I will post picks when done. Oops I don't know if it will fit in my pipe :-\

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:45:01 am »
Paulette,
nice work on that deer skin!
you can get cabinet scrapers through woodworker supply    http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=810-145&LARGEVIEW=ON
they have that curvy one available.

If i don't have time to brain-soften right away after scraping the hair off , I'll cut it off the frame, roll it up and store it dry.
If after scraping hair, i'm ready to brain it, i'll rub blender pureed cooked brain "soup" on while its stretched,...both sides, let it soak till its soft enough to fold,then cut it off.
submerse the hide 6 times in brain solution and twisting it out each time for maximum penetration.
then i'll hang it to dry a bit,checking on it often so it doesn't get too dry.

I actually do a lot of the softening using a cable strapped to a post i use it for pulling and stretching. final stage i use my feet and hands in front of the wood stove,
drop a corner of it on the floor ,step on it and pull upwards and just keep at it till its dry. i'll put up some pics of my last two "finished" hides... but they aren't smoked yet.

softening on the frame using an axe handle or other rubbing tool DOES have advantages...you get a very nice soft FLAT hide. BUT its also difficult to get that final softness (like flannel) you get by a cable or rope. it also makes some areas extremely thin ,where as tugging and pulling allows the thinner areas to compress a little more?
if any stiff spots show up on the hide when its dry you can always send it back to the brain solution.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:01 am »
Thanks for the link and the comments, Richard.. I am listening intently! Looking forward to seeing more.  :)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:28 am »
Thanks Paulette, and i'm paying attention to your methods too.
seems there are so many ways to do this tanning stuff and end up with similar results!
its always good to know what others find helpful and also what saves "un-necessary" labor
though you know as I do, there is just no way around hours of dedicated time to it.
here's my last two hides, still unsmoked.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
ewwww.. yeah.. you've said a 'mouthful' there, Richard! love seeing your skin pics! those two look really really really nice.. thanks for sending them.. sure it helps keep me focused as I scrape and scrape away down in my dungeon! I will have to look for another 'unsmoked' skin pic to send in re:  ;D  I only softened the flesh side of the one in the pic.. can't say as I used brains or eggs.. been a little while.. like I COULD have used eggs.. but I much prefer to use brains.. just a lot nicer IMO.. anyway fun swapping pics.