Author Topic: Green wood question  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Green wood question
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »
Hey yall im working on another short bow from this one tree I cut down mid last month. It is still very wet, I have the ends sealed would sealing the back help any? I have the bow roughed out so would using a heat gun on it help dry it out or would that cause problems with the bow? Thanks for reading  :)
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Green wood question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:46 pm »
I'd wait at least a month before using a heat gun on green wood and I would shellac the back before doing it. You can however steam and it will force moisture out and you can add shape to your stave by clamping it to a form while it is still hot.
  What wood is your stave?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:01:23 am »
I'd wait at least a month before using a heat gun on green wood and I would shellac the back before doing it. You can however steam and it will force moisture out and you can add shape to your stave by clamping it to a form while it is still hot.
  What wood is your stave?

ah ok I didnt not know if steaming or a heat gun would be better for getting moisture out. The wood I had ID on here a while back and came to the conclusion that it is laurel oak. Also is there so way to use a form to get rid of propeller twist in wood?
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Offline osagejack

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:07:48 am »
you can get the twist out but not till it is dried,,if you take it out now it will re twist as it dries

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:22:49 am »
What Pat and Mike said, if you put a heat gun on it now it may dry it out but almost guaranteed to check bad on the back and belly. Heat or steams works for straightening but I wouldn't try it for drying out wood. Just put it in a dry place after it is roughted out and be patient.A few weeks will do wonders. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:38:52 am »
What Pat and Mike said, if you put a heat gun on it now it may dry it out but almost guaranteed to check bad on the back and belly. Heat or steams works for straightening but I wouldn't try it for drying out wood. Just put it in a dry place after it is roughted out and be patient.A few weeks will do wonders. :)
  Pappy

Thanks for the advice guys Ill deffinetly just wait on it to dry.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »
I ruined 4 staves by not being patient. Trust them ;) I had a wet piece of hickory, took it inside house where it's like 30% humidity pulled off the varnish on the back of the bow. Went to bed, got up the next morning to go to work. Looked at the back and there were about 100 little checks and cracks in the back of it :o. If the wood is soaked dry it slow for at least a week before doing anything with it.
Greg