Author Topic: laburnum bug resistance?  (Read 822 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
laburnum bug resistance?
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:36 am »
If an admin wants to move this that's fine by me

A laburnum growing in a nearby copse has been logged by power company workers, they cut it in mid-winter, ruined it, but left some logs long enough for billets.  I am in the UK so we don't get much in the way of wood-borers but the logs have been sat in the dirt, not even stacked, for 3 months.  How insect-resistant is laburnum, would you risk it, and if you did risk it, how would you introduce that timber to your wood-store?

Offline simk

Re: laburnum bug resistance?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 06:48:17 am »
the borers like it a lot, especially the sap. i still would save it if I were you if there are some nice pieces, because wood quality won't be affected by now. the core wood is extremly  rot-resistant, the sap not so!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 07:15:46 am »
So the borers aren't active yet? or I should strip the sapwood as soon as I get it home?  Is laburnum ok for a heartwood only bow?

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 08:12:46 am »
Some people say it's best to use only heartwood, some say the sapwood is fine on the back. I had two large trees that had to go this spring. Kept the bark on as it wasn't loose yet, but stripped it off a couple of billets as an experiment. Sealed the ends with boat lacquer. Got like 17 full length staves, and a lot of short staves and billets, most of it with quite a lot of character.

So far, none of it is checking in my rather moist Danish climate (although we did just have a very dry April), not even the billets where I removed the bark. Haven't seen any bugs, but maybe they're in there (A) I'm keeping it stacked loosely on a table in an open carport.

Right know I actually have three pieces in the oven, making them ready for measuring density of the wood, and I have some shorter pieces in my drying room. I'll be doing some breaking tests of comparable pieces with/without sapwood, to judge for myself how it stands.

Was considering doing a Tim Baker standard bend test, but I think it will be difficult for me to get those pieces precise enough, so now I just think I'll get them close, and then bend them over my knee.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, I'll probably be making a post about it when I've done it.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:18:33 am »
No problem, I just came back up from the copse, couldn't find the tree, or even a stump, Many of the trees there are not in leaf yet and I  am hopeful the tree is late in flower and I am wrong about it being cut down. I'll go back in a fortnight and have another look. The logs I saw last time are still there and seem more likely to be ash, but they are no good, even for billets.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:40:24 am »
Very well could be, here in Denmark, they haven't flowered yet, and are just now putting out leaves. Mind you, they might be a bit later here.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana