Author Topic: trouble shooting-need 1 pound  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: trouble shooting-need 1 pound
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 02:01:49 pm »
New York minimum is 35# as well, and you can't get much more anal retentive than NY when it comes to all things weapon related.  Like Sailordad said, that poundage/drawlength combo would have been taking down buffalo on the plains.  I do think it's odd that states only specify draw weight, without coupling it to brace hieght and draw length.  You could increase the brace height on that bow and bring the poundage up, but the arrow speed would likely drop due to the reduced power stroke.  Odds are though, that the draw weight of that bow will be a whole lot higher in the fall, so it's a moot point.  By the way, anyone know the average draw length of African Pygmy elephant hunters?
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 02:34:30 pm »
If the OP draws 22 inches, he draws 22 inches.  Not his fault his arms are short! 

There are/were lots of bow designs with a 20"-24" draw length pulling 50 pounds or more.  Look at the Hupa, Modoc and other West Coast bows 36-48" tip-to-tip with very short draws and high poundage. 

IMHO the OP has plenty of bow to kill even the larger Western deer with a well placed shot.  it's up to the state to determine whether this bow draws the requisite poundage; and odds are if Ranger Rick determines the draw weight, he's gonna do it at 28" which is sorta the standard draw length. 

If ya really think ya need an extra pound of draw, spiral wrap the whole thing in Camo Duct Tape before you go out in the field :D ;) ;D :o ::)
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »
Probably looking at about 135 maybe 140 fps with a 500 grain arrow, marginal power, will need a very clean well placed shot or the animal will likley get away wounded.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »
Damned Badger you are good!! I took a Hickory Bow that I have that is 65 pounds @ 28 inches...and shot it through the Chronograph at a 22 inch draw....which should have been about 39 pounds @ 22inches...and it regestered 133 fps...with a Port Orford Arrow with a 120 grain field Point weighing in at 538 grains....and I would not trust myself to harvest a deer with a One Shot Kill at them Speeds....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome