Author Topic: Rasps  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Rasps
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »
I just did a quick on Amazon, 9" shinto rasp - $25-$28
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:43:33 pm »
Look into Dean Torges file in 3rivers.  It is basically a 49 and a 50, only it is flat and has no round side to it.  But it is one great file/rasp

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »
When I am shaping the handle, I will take 5 or 6 hacksaw blades and hold both ends and use it like a rasp.  Maybe I should look into a shinto
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »
Amazon for me. Blackhawk had one at our bow building gathering at Martys. I used it two strokes, looked up at him and said, " I will have one in three days...". Ill be damned if the UPS man didnt have one for me on Wednesday! Chris was kind enough to let me use it quite often that day. Its the only rasp I use after my ferriers done its job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
Tractor supply has Farriers rasp for around $25 and the handles are around $4-$5.  But like Pat said find a farrier and you can get them free......when they are worn out to them they still work very well with wood.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »
Pearl,
Do you have the 'front' handle on your shinto? I have looked at some photos and the ones on amazon do not show it, but on another place it does. If you do have the handle, do you use it? I read one review that said the user perfered wearing a glove and pressing on the front of the saw/rasp.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 11:04:25 pm »
Mine is the two sided flat style. Chris has the forward handle and loves it, I couldnt get used to it. I dont use gloves, its not that agrressive. And to be honest it doesnt require enough effort to push that hard in the first place. Its half the work and twice the saw dust.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 11:56:52 pm »
i am going to get me a shinto.thanks guys,Steve
Middletown,Ohio