Author Topic: cant pull my bow back looking for ingenious ideas  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Jesse

cant pull my bow back looking for ingenious ideas
« on: December 02, 2007, 05:58:50 pm »
I just started working on a couple bows one is ready for tillering but a problem came up. I had to get my gal bladder removed and now I have a lifting restriction of 30# for three weeks ouch. I cant stand just sitting around looking at these bows and not being able to pull them back. Its only day 2 after surgery Im already going nuts. I have to figure out some way to tiller to 55 or 60# without pulling more than 30#. I usually use a tillering stick but I am sure I will be making the switch to the tree. I thought about using some kind of crank but I think it might be to slow and put too much stress on the bow. Im sure some sort of pulley system would work Im just not sure about how to buid it how many pulleys would be needed ect. Thanks for your help.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: cant pull my bow back looking for ingenious ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:22:52 pm »
  You can put a pulley at the bottom and one at the top.In the drilling field it's called "double blocking".Just run your rope through the bottom pulley and then back through the top. You can pull twice as much weight with less stress.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:29:58 pm »
sounds nice and simple thanks.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »
Most commercial gambrels have at least a 2:1 pulley with them. Buy the gambrel for $20 use the rope system already on it then you have a gambrel for a deer if you get one. Google gambrel hoist to see what I'm talking about.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:22:28 am »
a double armed winch, like on a sieging crossbow??
knapp 'um if you got 'um