Author Topic: paper tuning?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline wazabodark

paper tuning?
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:30 am »
I've seen that paper tuning is often mentioned in concert with bare shaft shooting as a a way of getting arrows properly spined to a bow; so what is it? I'm making a set of arrows for a 30# recurve out of spruce. I don't have a spine tester so I figured I'd just bare shaft test a single shaft, run a couple of nails into the wall at 26" OC, hang a weight off of it, record deflection, and match the rest to that. Will that work? As for paper tuning, is that done with each arrow individually? I know nothing about that process at all, but, (obviously), would like my arrows to be as accurate as possible. Also, what do you fellas use for target points (homemade)? Thanks to all. Love the site.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: paper tuning?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:23 am »
That sounds like a good plan to measure spine, its not as exact as some would like to make it. I don't make points, I buy them. At $3 a dozen, its worth it. I don't monkey with paper tuning. I shoot 10-15 yards and none of that matters. My arrows fly like darts, just not always on target!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snapper1d

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »
wazabodark.Your method with the two nails will work perfectly!!! Bare shaft one till it flies perfectly.Seal it and shoot it again.Sealing will sometimes change it due to the shaft sucking up sealer and getting harder when dried.I use lacquer.Put a little in a bottle with a small nail hole in the cap.I hang the shaft with thread and squirt a little in my hand and rub onto the shaft.Shoot it again and check to see if it flies right.If it does then check to see what it shows on your two nails and then make all your shafts the same.To adjust my shafts I will chuck the shaft field tip up in my drill and sand each shaft till they show the same exact spine.

Offline wazabodark

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »
I appreciate the input guys. Thanks. But what about paper tuning? Is that the same thing as bare shifting? I am under the impression that paper tuning is done after the spine is right? Is that incorrect?

Offline snapper1d

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:49:26 pm »
Paper tuning is pretty close to the same as bare shafting.With paper tuning you shoot through paper and you can see on the paper what your arrow is doing and what you need to do to correct the spine.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:25:56 pm »
Yeah, you shoot through paper at close range(a few yards) before the fletchings can correct the arrows flight. Then, you tell by the tear in the paper if the arrow is too stiff or too weak. Its shown in great detail in masters of the bare bow. Can't remember  which one

Offline snapper1d

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »
Its Masters of the Bare Bow Vol 2 in the section Arrow Tuning.This is a real good video.