Author Topic: Hunting question  (Read 2175 times)

Offline DC

Hunting question
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:16 pm »
 What I'm wondering about is the movement of raising and drawing the bow. Doesn't that spook the deer?

Stringman

Re: Hunting question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:41:44 pm »
When something gets close, the bow arm comes up - no tension on the string. As the critter moves toward ya, slowly and smoothly shift so the bow is always facing them. As they walk by (or duck their head, look the other way, pass behind a tree) you quickly but quietly come to full draw and fire.

This is of course the hardest part about hunting with this equipment, because unlike modern hunters this whole sequence happens at under 20 yds. There are myriad tricks to pulling this off, but none of them make it easy and you will fail more often than not. But then, if it were easy, anyone could do it..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
I always have my bow across my lap with an arrow on the string. When I see a deer I slowly stand and get ready for the shot. If you can see a deer's eyes he can see you so keep that in mind. If the deer looks spooked or nervous you probably won't get a shot off without him seeing you. I keep a little tension on the string and as soon as I get a chance I take the first clear shot I can get. I've waited for a better shot too many times and they never come.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »
I try to only move when they are looking away or behind a tree.  When there are more than one deer this becomes a lot harder to accomplish.  If a deer is relaxed and calm you would be surprised with how much movement you can get away with.  I've taken my phone out and took pictures and video of deer and they never saw me.  One time I forgot and left the flash on.  It still didn't spook it.  When a deer is on high alert the smallest thing can send them running over the next hillside.  It helps to be able to read their body language.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:07:47 pm »
I think the quick release with a long bow will make it even easier than doing so with a wheelie bow. Sometimes when they are within 10 yards they'll see me draw but I think it is part of the skill  of the hunter to time it either while it's behind a tree or glancing away. Also I always line up my bow and shoulders with the arrow pointing right at the deer as it comes in and track with itso that I can shoot any moment and so that the  view of me and the bow is staying the same the whole time; when I draw, the bow and profile have minimal change. I got three last season BUT I have never gotten one with a longbow so I bet it'll be an even bigger learning experience this year. Know how the deer move in an area  and set up on a trail where you see one coming further off. I shot one real close last year because I saw it's feet and was able to draw easily and plink it once it stepped out right in front of me
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:16:26 pm by Lumber man »

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »
But then, if it were easy, anyone could do it..

Couldn't agree more !
~Isaia

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:27 pm »
You can get by with a lot more movement in a tree stand than you can on the ground or in a natural ground blind.  I'm not a big fan of the tent type ground blinds.  You can get by with much more movement in them, but I just have a hard time setting in them looking through a window.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:57:41 am »
I would watch as many of the old video of deer being hunted by archers. I know this is contriversial in some ways but allows you to see how deer react in many different situations and from the comfort of your living room. Unless you see a lot more deer while scouting than I do, nothing prepares you more. Study the deer, not the folks hunting them or what they say unless it is someone you trust. Try to pick something with the kind of forest you hunt or better yet, someone that hunts your area.