Author Topic: Dealing with lots of reflex  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Lucasade

Dealing with lots of reflex
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:34:56 am »
Sorry to post this again - my original question in the other thread seems to have got lost in a discussion as to whether the tree I cut the stave from actually grows where I live   >:D

My laburnum stave has dried into fairly extreme reflex as I didn't know to strap it down when I split it, which I'm not sure my tillering skills are up to handling even with the help of tutorials that I have seen posted here. Are there any design tricks I could use to help me such as putting some deflex in to the handle, or do I just need to grow a pair and get on with it?

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Dealing with lots of reflex
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:43:40 am »
If it were me I'd keep the reflex, but as you said a deflexed steam bend in the handle would work too

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 03:03:53 am »
Personally,  I would deflex the handle to the point of leaving the tips 1.5 inches above the back of the bow. After being shot in, the tips will be flat with the back. Good string tension, not over stressed, and nice draw feel.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:08:26 am »
Have you seen the build along that Gordon did with a highly reflexed vine maple stave?  It's a good one, worth a look.
I have a buckthorn stave that dried into about 4 1/2" of reflex that I hope to tackle this fall. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53195.0.html

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:37 am »
Have you seen the build along that Gordon did with a highly reflexed vine maple stave?  It's a good one, worth a look.
I have a buckthorn stave that dried into about 4 1/2" of reflex that I hope to tackle this fall. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53195.0.html

Gordon's build along was the one I was referring to - I think I'll be studying it very closely.

Offline GB

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:12:16 pm »
I'm thinking that I'll see how manageable it is when I put it on the long string.  If it's too much of a problem, I'll steam the handle and move it forward an inch or so.
Good luck with yours!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:47:25 am »
That sounds like a good way to go - thanks!