Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Ozi Sapling

Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:51 am »
Guys,

Again, thanks for comments.  Making me laugh already, and certainly feel welcome. You folks are champs.

Pat B/jeffp51 - yes emus are from Oz - mega chickens.  But they're not super common and I think they like their sinew.  Roos on the other hand are everywhere and slaughtered for BBQ flesh, so I guess you could source their sinew pretty easily if you wanted.  At this point, I wouldn't even really know what to do with it, so I'll park that until I've banged out a few more bows.

Hawkdancer / osage outlaw / Rakau / airkah - Thanks for the encouragement. I've taken some pics of 'bow' #1.  She's a total dog. Heaps of fleas too.  I'm waiting until my humility gene is firing on all cylinders before posting some pics.  I was nearly then, until I stumbled upon the "Best Self Bow of 2018" post.  Totally blew my mind, but inspired me even more.

Ozi

Offline jeffp51

Re: Introduction
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:57 am »
Hey, we even like pictures of ugly bows. You'll either be told it's better than you thought, or people will tell you where you went wrong and help you get better. Worst case you can think of it as a public service: you make us feel better about our doggy bows 8)

Also, start collecting sinew the first chance you get. It is the wonder material of primitive archery. Good for everything Frome twine to bowstrings to arrow wrapping, or bow backing. Get some and start playing with it. All kinds of processing tutorials on line