Author Topic: Yew...  (Read 3973 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Yew...
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:21:24 am »
  Hey guys,, i have a real nice piece of yew waiting for me back in Sweet T.N. I cant wait to get back and build a bow outa it. Only i dont know what sorta bow to make outa it. The stave is long like 70+ inches.. but i am also thinking about a west cost Indian flat bow.. but a nice long bow would be cool to..  heck i cant make up my mind. you dont get a piece of yew like this everyday. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maby some pro's and cons.
Mililani Hawaii

AKAPK

Re: Yew...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:36:44 am »
Ya could almost get 2 west coast bows outa a yew stave that long, I atcually only seen Flat bow from yew in a museum local and they were cerimonial bows. Shorter and wider, for short distance and longer and Narrow for Long distance shooting I would say.PK

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:57:57 am »
Leapingbare,   You would really be pushing it to get two bows and if you did the draw would have to be real short. Yew is often full of knots so if you have a clean (knot free) stave I would definitely go for a long bow vs. two shorties. You can always find a piece of yew for a West coast flat bow.
  Look it over good with the bark cleaned off and see what you have. If there is a knot near one end you might want to just remove that and have long/flat bow. Yew is a very versatile wood and works on just about any style of bow.
  Do you have any pics?  Are you going to hunt with it? If so I would go for the medium size bow. 70" bows can be limiting for hunting because of brush/
  But if you are thinking of only target or rendezvous shooting then definitely do the long bow.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:53:19 pm »
Keenan, thank you for your input.. i think i will go with a smooth shooting longbow. i think about 68'' should be good.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:43:28 pm »
Nah nah! You want an English longbow around 72 - 76" long with and nice D profile. Make it bend full compass and draw all the way back to a nice 30-31" draw length. These are the sweetest shooting bows around! No stack no strain pulling in 90 - 100#'s. Punches through armored french nights and bullet proof wearing troops like butter. African law enforcement agencies still hire bowmen in Eastern Africa since there heavy arrows from 90 - 100# punch through bullet proof vests like they are not there. That nice little ceramic plate you get in them is ixnaed to boot!!!!  :o :o :o

Personally, I think the rifle is going to go the way of the Do Do bird if things keep going the way they are. Back to the Bow is the way to go!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »
Jesse, I looked at that stave the other day and if I remember right, It looked pretty wide.  If it was as wide as I think it was, you might be able to get two English style longbows from it.  I don't think they have to be very wide, but then I could be wrong.  My mind slips from time to time. ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »
Any where from 1 7/8" for bows up to 65# aprox. and 1 1/2" for bows 90 and over 100#'s. I'm shooting and 80#er now!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

AKAPK

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »
 :)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 03:09:37 pm »
hey Jesse,
is this the stave i sent you?

I think there is a full bow and a kids bow in that stave.

I'd suggest 68" long for a full 28" draw.  what you cut off save and use for tip overlays.

whatever dimensions you end up with,  try to maintain 50-50 sapwood/ heartwood. 

goodluck

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 04:59:18 pm »
i think 68" is a great compromise if you want to hunt with it.  keeps it long and sweet to shoot, but isn;t so long it is a pain to move through the woods with.  every inch counts for a hunting bow.  you wouldn't believe the look on my face the first time i hopped into my popup blind with a 72 inck red oak bow i had just finished.  i looked around for a minute and said out loud, "well this ain;t gonna work." ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.