Author Topic: feral hogs with primitive gear?  (Read 25170 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: feral hogs with primitive gear?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 09:23:32 pm »
My god thats a lot of piggies! What did ya do with them all?

Oh ....I didn't shoot these....this is from a Ranch Hunt here in Texas....where they tried to eradicate the little Buggers
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »
I hope they did not waste the meat. Man that would of fead a lot of people!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:30 pm »
I hope they did not waste the meat. Man that would of fead a lot of people!

It all went to ........The Hunters For The Hungry

It all gets processed and given to the Needy
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:32 pm »
 Yea? who cleaned them? those two guy's. ::) The ranch I hunt on, they get dragged to the Gut Pile. The weekend before I went down meat hunting, one guy shot 14 and they all got dumped. They told me hunting was going to suck. I shot 10 with a shot gun and 44 pistol. And only shot little sows. Good luck geting rid of them the way they breed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:34 pm »
 Eradicate them ! Ha ha ha ! Like Eddie said "good luck ' Though I think they will need more than that ! Eradicte them ! LOL ! :D.bob

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 01:26:12 am »
Hmmm!!! Food on the hoof. Tasty to boot! Why would you want to eradicate them? Kill em, butcher them and sell the meat on the internet!!!!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 12:46:08 pm »
Tiller, hogs are one of the more destructive invasive species-they're fun to hunt and taste good, but they can tear hell out of an ecosystem and starve out/eat native species in a hurry. Here in the Smokies, the Park Service has spent umpteen thousands of dollars trying to eradicate or at least thin out the European wild boar population in the GSMNP. They have killed and trapped over ten thousand hogs just in the national park in the last twenty years or so, and the population is still growing and spreading. There are a lot of threatened habitats and rare/endangered species that the hogs are really taking a toll on. They'll eat almost anything they can catch or get to-plant, animal, whatever. The Russian boars are really hard to hunt here in these rugged mountains and thick woods, too-almost impossible without dogs. They are almost completely nocturnal. they stayed holed up in the rhododendron hells in the daytime, and come out at night to feed. I've seen acres of ground rooted up in only a couple nights, looked like you had taken a plow to the ground.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 02:08:38 pm »
I think we need to do our part- the Primtive Archer Hog Hunt and BBQ ;D!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 04:03:50 pm »
Anyone ever tried an Indian(asian) drive to force them into the center of a circle to eradicate. Bunch of people surround and arrea and start banging on pans or whatever to drive animals to the center. As they close in they bunch up and are easy pickings!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »
 I'd feel like a Dumb A##. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:13 pm »
Why's that? Come on Eddie. You get to shoot 20 hogs or more at a time!  ;D

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:28 pm »
Tiller, you really need to get out and try and hunt some wild piggies. Pigs are a very aggressive animal and I'd venture to say the beating on pans thing won't work. I put a sneak attack on what I thought was a boar and a sow... when I shot the boar I thought I'd hit a hornets nest. There were at least 25 hogs that came from nowhere and were running straight for me. I unloaded the other 4 shots I had in my shotgun and was trying top reload and dodge pigs at the same time. It was a little hairy for a moment. I've only tried hunting them with stick and string a couple of times, but no luck.
To answer your question about the meat from the 63 we trapped, we gave most of it to friends and family, but there were a few that we couldn't give away so they went to waste. But when the buggers are tearing up your income it don't matter much. I will try to find some pictures of the crops they tore up and post them. Like Hillbilly said they are mostly nocturnal, but we have a permit that allows us to hunt them at night.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 11:42:58 pm »
 Tiller let me underscore what Steve and Okie 1 said. I have been asked to hunt on a ranch that  belongs ta a mitigation bank. Dr. Olsen told me last year they have killed over 2000 hawgs since 2001 on a mere 2700 acres and the hawgs are multiplying. The hawgs are TEARIN" the place up. Like 10,000 dollars worth of seedling trees. They were destroyed in ONE nite. BTW there is no insurance fer that or the loss of beef cattle that steps in a hole and has ta be destroyed by a rancher. Hawgs are not indigenous ta the north american continent. They were brought here ta southeast by the spanish in 1500's.  Thus, like Steve said they are an invasive species that really have no natural enemies. Sure, panthers and yotes and wolves and snakes take some of the youngins but fer the most part they are unmolested. Gut piles are a fact of life on ranches and most beef cattle ranchers hate them cause they are so destructive. I did a night count with Chuck Olsen  on a 4 wheel gator with 2 q-beams recently. We counted over thats  OVER 200 hawgs in less than one hour in one spot. :o So much fer eradication and control. Good luck with yer asian roundup-aint gonna work hawgs are 2 damm fast and some will run and then theres those that WONT! Good luck with that make sure yer medical insurance is paid up and yer family is prepared fer ya not ta be around er tore up real bad. BTW hawgs are NEVER easy pickin when they is pissed. Trust me I have been huntin' em all my life. haha! Like Steve said like a plow hit the acreage er looks like a bomb crater.................bob
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:49:35 pm by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 12:17:43 am »
 I'm getting ready to set a trap in a buddies orange grove next week. They are rooting the grove up and eating all the low oranges. Wasting a lot of money , this is picking time. We are guessing by the tracks that there are about 40 hogs coming in every night. I've been baiting with corn and trying to hunt them, but I'm not going to sit out there all night for hogs. It's too easy somewhere else. When we catch them we will kill and butcher the sows, give away the shoats and cut the boar hogs and turn them loose.

And when the pan banging starts, are you going to be a pot and pan banger , or wade on in there? If you want some noisy hunting, if you ever get down here, I'll take you out one night with some good Bay and Catch dogs . And you can get in that big 10' high palmetto patch with the flying, gutted, dogs and catch one or stick him with a knife. It was fun when I was about 20 years old.

For some reason, we are seeing hogs everywhere down here this year. Almost every road I drive on has hogs in the ditches or the grass shoulders are rooted up. Right up to the city limits of almost every little town I drive through.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 01:27:37 am »
Ok, ok I get it! It just seems like the Asians could wipe out large swaths of animals by doing this in the past.  Its just a huge constricting circle with hunters spaced out amongst the drivers. Thought it might be a good idea.

I do want to hunt hogs one of these days Eddie. I agree one hundred percent we have to wipe as many of them out as we can. Just haven't got my chance yet.

Hmm! There has got to be a market for wild pig out there somewhere. Same with the Asian Carpe! If we start to develop a taste for them maybe we can start and industry? Money on the hoof!?!?  ;D