Author Topic: Future breakfast sausage!  (Read 25960 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Future breakfast sausage!
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:32:56 pm »
I hunted behind my house Thursday afternoon and passed a shot on a small buck...3 or 4pt. I would guess. Friday morning Jimmy (RangerB) and I went to a farm he was kind enough to invite me to hunt with him on. Although I didn't see a deer, I saw a lot of sign. We had  a couple of guys walk by Jimmy without permission and I'm sure that affected the hunting. I didn't go Friday evening, but decided to go this morning. I had two young ones come by me that I'm sure I've passed shot's on a couple of times this year already. The larger of the two I was sure was a button buck, the smaller a doe...I thought. I decided to take a shot on the smaller deer and had already let the larger one by probably 20 lbs. or so walk by at 12 yards. I was using a osage bow Pappy gave me (one I took the 8pt with), and a cane arrow that Sawfiler had given me when he was hunting with us at Pappy's. The arrow flew great, but it wasn't one of my better shots...about 10 yards and a steep angle. It was a neck shot and the deer didn't go but about 20 yards or so. I found out after getting down that it was a little button buck as well, but I couldn't tell it from the tree stand. In Tenn. a small buck with antlers under 3 inches is considered a doe from a tagging standpoint. I plan to mix pork with the venison along with the seasoning and some liquid smoke and make sausage with it. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Future breakfast sausage!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:54:48 pm »
Nice deer Greg. I'd of ground up that buck for sausage and kept that little bugger for steaks and chops and such. Them little ones are always better eating.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:04:31 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D That makes me proud  ;D ;D ;D  Well done my friend!  How'd that trade point do?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Ranger B

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:07:51 pm »
Awesome Greg.  You're on a late season roll.  Glad to see that food plot is paying off.  See if I'd have been chasing your squirrels you'd be deerless this morning  ;D
I'll be back at it Monday morning.  This is my last week so I hope to get one more.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »
well done!  i agree on the steaks part, those young ones are awful tasty!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:47:53 pm »
Thanks Ryan, yeah it would be some tender meat for sure...just don't know if I'll get any more opportunities and I'd like to make some sausage. The late season hunting is pretty tough with all the leaves off.

Shannon, your trade point did really good, was sticking in the ground after passing through the deers neck. I noticed when practicing with it what you said about it rotating...I could tell it rotated when pulled from the target. I got it good and sharp before it went in my quiver...thanks!

Thank you Jimmy and enjoyed hunting with you the other morning! I hope you can get another one before you have to leave.

Appreciate it armymedic.2, we have so much venison at the club already that I think the breakfast sausage is something different we'll enjoy. ;)
Greg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:33:50 pm »
     Congratulations on another one , Gregg.

When I hunted that mngt Area in NW Kentucky a few years ago, we couldn't shoot anything but bucks that were 14" or better. I had 3 real close shots on bucks that had real short spikes that I wouldn't shoot at. I didn't know any better and thought they were Bucks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:02 pm »
In Ky, any deer with visable antler pertruding above the skin is considered a buck, or antlered deer, except  a button buck.
Buttons are to be checked in as male/antlerless. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »
That will be some good sausage!  ;D
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »
Mmmmmm...sausage.....I might change my logo to: "Any critter tastes good in a sausage"..... ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:54:50 am »
Thanks Chad!

Patrick, I've been making bratwurtz with 2/3 venison and 1/3 pork for several years now with very good results also. Used to make a lot of jerky, but haven't done that in a while.
Greg

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:11 am »
Another good hunt ,and I imagine all of you tennessee boys are getting mighty full freezers by now.Way to go Greg,and Merry Christmas,and God Bless.
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 02:01:48 pm »
Thank you Pete! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! ;)
Greg

Dustybaer

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »
congratulations on another successful hunt.  i hope i'll get the chance to try one of those "bratwurtz" one day.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 07:55:52 am »
Thanks Marius! I'd be proud to serve you some of our red neck bratwurtz!  ;D
Greg