Author Topic: Gift for a Friend  (Read 18845 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Gift for a Friend
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 02:24:01 pm »

Beautiful!  Knightd, you are indeed a lucky man.  Oh sorry, I forgot those are for a " Friend " not for the Old Man!   ;D  A very lucky friend indeed.  Cora, those are beautiful.  And as was asked previously, what are the nocks made of?

Wayne

knightc71

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »
Thanks guys!!  I really appreciate all the positive input.  The nocks are self-knocks that I cut in just above the node.  When I stained the arrows, I decided to leave the knocks natural.  I thought that would really make them stand out.  As I said before, thanks so much for the positive input.  All you guys really know how to make a person feel good!! ;) 

Sorry mullet, but these are from another batch. 

The only ideas I can give you guys that want your wives to do this is, unfortunately, it is all up to her whether she would enjoy something like that.  I have always enjoyed making things with my hands, but never found anything that I really liked doing until now.

Hey Billy, when is your birthday?? ;)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 03:19:28 pm »

You might try telling your wives that you don't think they could do that kind of work......from a distance of course. ;D ;D

Wayne

Shooter_G22

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 08:41:48 pm »
Wow,

how did you get those shaft sooo straight????

and to make them that beautiful...  wow... is all i can say....  other than maybe they are AWSOME.... !

i really like them...  ;)

gives me motovation to try and make some that well made someday..>!

knightc71

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »
I got these so straight by using a single gas burner and slowly warming them.  Then I take a tool that my husband made for me and slowly straighten the area that is crooked.  I also use a half moon shaped piece of hickory that he made for me too.  The hickory is used to straighten in between the nodes and the tool is to used to straighten around the nodes and the nodes themselves.  Of course the tool is also used to get those little crooks out as well.  And last but not least,  A WHOLE LOT OF PATIENCE!!!!! :P :-\

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »

Could you show a picture of the half moon tool?

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »
alright, you do realize now everyone(including myself)will want to see a pic or three of these tools
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

knightc71

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 09:15:13 pm »
Alright guys,  here's the picture of the tools that I use to do my arrows.  You do realize that I am giving away my secrets??!! :o :'(

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 09:51:40 pm »

Ahhh yes......very clever.  Pretty darn spiffy.  8)   Secret?  Ha, there are no secrets here.  This is where we share the secrets, which of course then cease to be secrets, except for the non traditional people. "  How do we get these shoots, and cane so straight?  We just look for the straightest ones we can find.  Haven't you ever seen a shoot nice and straight?  No secret to it. "
Very neat tools.  I like the node straightener, because you can use one hand, and then hold a heat source in the other, or beer.  These would be good to pack in your back pack, with some knapping tools, and some fletching.  In in case you come across some uh straight shoots...... ;D
Now, I can see how you made such beautiful arrows.  But why is he bending one?  I thought he was going to sit back now, and let you be his arrowmaker...... ;D I guess he should've know that now you are going to keep making your "OWN" arrows, just to keep him trying to match yours.  Now you have to start knapping.  That should keep him busy.  Thanks, those are pretty cool, and again, beautiful work on those arrows.  Did he come up with the idea for those tools, or did you, or someone else.  Thanks for sharing the " Secret "

Wayne

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 12:25:07 am »
The tools are realy not a secret.. Ive heard of guys using 5gal buckets and such to bend the shaft over. I just made one to sit in your lap..

knightc71

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:00 pm »
What I like about the piece of hickory, is that I can heat the whole section between nodes and not have to worry about breaking the shaft.  When he cut the hickory, I had him elongate the radius so that I can do the whole section between the nodes.

He's not actually straightening that one.  He's just showing how it works.  He did actually come up with the ideas for the tools.  He wanted to make it easier for me to do this!!!  You know what that means??!! :D  He really wants me to pump them out!!!!! :D :D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:33 am »

Well just pump them out, and into " YOUR" quiver! ;D

Wayne

Offline billy

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:46 am »
By the way, my birthday was yesterday, today, and tomorrow...day after day after day!! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 03:26:41 am »
wow, sweet set ya got there mrs Knight, better than anything ive managed to make, i just now worked out how to do that two tone color thing, really helps to add some spice to a set of arrows

unfortunately the only RIT my nearby Target sells is black and really dark blue
 :'(
Zander

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:47 am »
Thanks for sharing with us need to make me one of those little node straigtening gadgets :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI