Author Topic: Best Arrow (or Set)......Vote March 20, 2009  (Read 40996 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Best Arrow (or Set)......Vote March 20, 2009
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »
Pat
I think I got you beat on lazy I use the acrylic matte medium to mix the prim. pigments.  I never thought of using the Elmers.  That is a good idea.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »
Rick, If I had the matte medium I would have used it. My wife is an artist and lately has been doing paper mache so we have lots of Elmer's.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 12:03:12 am »
Pat
Sounds like you look to get in the same trouble as me.  Using the wife's art supplies.  Sometimes that can make you a pretty unpopular guy around the house. :o
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 12:05:03 am »
Rick, You haven't been married long enough to know all the tricks! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

alnbren

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:15 pm »
This set was part of a order I made for 2 dozen self-nocked cedar arrows (spined for 50 lbs) that were footed on both ends with purple heart hard wood.  I ended up ordering spliced feathers but I spliced the cock feathers myself and fletched the set too.  The shafts were coated with pencil coating before being fletched.  The points came from 3 rivers.  Sorry about the quality of the photographs.

Allen

[attachment deleted by admin]

alnbren

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 08:19:00 pm »
This was the 2nd set of arrows that I made from the footed shaft batch.  This time I painted along the footing lines on the front of the arrow.  After finishing the paint job it was covered by Pencil coating.  The feathers were ordered spliced and I put them on in a four feather configuration and tied them off with red silk which was then waxed.  The bodkin points came from Ebay.

I hope you like them.

Allen

alnbren

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 08:39:36 pm »
this is the final set of arrows made from the orginal footed shaft batch.  I failed to mention that these are used for a medieval archery demonstration once a year for the forth grade at my daughter's school.  These are made essentially the same way as the other two except I have exanded on the spriral paint job and I haven't used silk to tie it off.  Enjoy.

Thanks,

Allen

alnbren

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
This was a children's set made by Scott Greaves.  All I did was add the long feathers and new points from 3 rivers archery.

Allen

alnbren

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:44 pm »
This was my attempt to reconstitute a broken arrow.  I panited it and put a six feather fletch on it then put a whistling point on the end.  The kids love it.

Allen

alnbren

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 08:58:42 pm »
Last one I promise.  This was made into a whistling arrow also except I used flu flu feathers in a four fletch configuration and tied it off with silk.  Not the flaming whistle point.

alnbren

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:29 pm »
I forgot.  I guess you need to put me into the neo-primative class on all the sets because I tied off many of the points with artificial sinew.

Offline flecha

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:43 pm »
Albren,  My goodness you do some VERY fine work!!! I was making a set to enter, but not after seeing your work.  No way I can compete with that!  I love your painting and footed shafts.  Thanks for sharing.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:49 pm »
Excellent arrows alnbren!!  I'm always impressed by footings....especially those.  Very fine craftsmanship.

And flecha.....I'm sure we would like to see your arrows regardless!  Please post them!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

alnbren

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
And flecha.....I'm sure we would like to see your arrows regardless!  Please post them!

By all means please post.  Remember my arrows were not entirely made by me.  I basicaly just assembled them.  The hard part (making the shafts) was done by a real craftsmen whom I ordered them from.  Since I assembled and painted them, I've found out that the fletching and the footed shafts are not historically accurate either.  It's OK though because the kids don't seem to know the difference.  Maybe one day I'll make a real medival set after I can afford a real yew English Long Bow too.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 12:23:30 pm »
Here's a couple of Cherokee-style arrows I made a while back. Completely primitive. Shafts are native river cane sealed with bear grease. Two-feather wild turkey fletch tied down with deer sinew, flint points hafted with pine pitch and deer sinew.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.