Author Topic: January Knapping Challenge-Bolen Bevel point  (Read 49368 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
January Knapping Challenge-Bolen Bevel point
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:29:28 pm »
OK, if anybody is interested, we'll give it a go. I would say we pick a point type, then just post your pics on the thread-maybe front, back, and side view? Post as many as you'd like. I think it'll be interesting to see what we can come up with, and we can learn about point types from other areas. Anybody got a suggestion for point type this month?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:51:47 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: January Knapping Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:38 pm »
How about early "Otoe Style".  They're characterized by their short, thick profile and random, inconsistent shapes.  I'm good at those.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:18 pm »
How about a Sedalia?  I just got done with this one, made from a think, ugly flake of Keokuk chert.  It's 4 1/2 inches long.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:34:08 pm »
Is this going to be competition, the winner could pick the point type for the next month. For the first month
start with something easy a basic side notch or something. Just a thought. When it gets nice here oh about July I
will probably join in, don't like chippin indoors :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »
all right,billy is the winner for january...so,whats next  ;D ??? ;D...sorry,i had to have fun...billys,point is fine by me....does length matter...john

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:16 pm »
How about early "Otoe Style".  They're characterized by their short, thick profile and random, inconsistent shapes.  I'm good at those.   

Mike

Mike, that wouldn't be fair, I'm already an expert at that style. ;D

Billy, Sedalia sounds fine if you can dig us up some info on the style (region, usual materials, size, main defining characteristics etc.) If we could find a pic of an original, that would be good, too. Dana, if we do decide to have an informal poll vote, the winner picking the next month's style sounds like a good idea. I would say let's post a side-view pick, too. Any material or size/thickness would be fine, with props for correct materials/dimensions, etc.) I'd say maybe we should also say whether it was from a spall, slab, etc.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:35:47 pm »
This is going to be fun.  I'm looking forward to the educational side of this.  And could we also include a phonetic pronunciation of the names, regional basis, applications (atlatl, blade, bow) etc?  The winner of the previous month would be responsible for "researching" their next month's point. 

Mike 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:43 am »
hey hillbilly,i want to ask if the kind of stone makes a differance..i am kind of limited to obsidian...by the way my sedalia is done..i will have pics up in a few days my wife does that stuff.thanks john

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:52 am »
Why does there have ta be winners? That implies that their are losers. That means competition...............bob

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:49:29 am »
Your right, lets start with something simple like a side-notched point.  I just happened to make that Sedalia point today before I realized ya'll had this post going, so it's not fair to include that one.  Trust me, I can make some ugly, thick and crude points with the best of them!  Those are the ones that usually end up on my arrows.  We could start the competition with who can make the ugliest point... that'd be fun!   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:10 am »
K. Im in and interested.
Really like the educational side of this. dont know nothin' about any styles a'tall.

how many months did you say I had to make each point?  ;D

How about a bolen for the first?
Check out this site:
http://www.lithicsnet.com/bolen.htm
Location: Primarily Florida, Southern Georgia and Southern Alabama

Associated Dates: 10,000 - 9000 B.P. - Early Archaic
Morphology: Side Notched / Corner Notched
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:15:45 pm »
This sounds like to much fun!!
I cant wait for this thing to kick off!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:15 pm »
learning something already. Had to go look up the sedalia.

sounds like the smallest they have found is 3" long. and largest is almost 8".
I think we should start a bit easier and shorter.
I am open to suggestions tho.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »
Would love to join ya all but its a wee bit cold outside for knappin, somewhere around -20 :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:43 pm »
Dana, I just made my first neck knife from obsidian..couldnt get one done in warm weather but it really seemed to work better cold...Dr. says the frostbite will get better.... ;D....Dont know much bout knappin but im in, seems like a great way to learn more till I run out of rock anyway....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....