Author Topic: Vine Maple D-Bow  (Read 12791 times)

Offline Gordon

Vine Maple D-Bow
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:48:10 pm »
Lately I’ve been making most of my bows in the 60+ pound range. While I can shoot a bow at that weight with no problem, I wanted something a lighter that I could comfortably handle all day and use for primitive shoots. I ended up with a D-style bow that I fashioned from a short vine maple stave that was about 3” in diameter – not a sapling. The bow is 58” long ntn, pulls 55# @ 27” and bends through the handle slightly. I’m starting to favor this style because I can create a hunting weight bow and still keep it short without putting undue stress on the limbs. They also look kind of cool and are fun to shoot. The bow is 1 Ό” wide at the handle, flares slightly to 1 5/16” mid-limbs and then tapers down to 3/8” at the nocks. I wanted narrow tips on this one so I glued on overlays to reinforce the tips and ensure that the sting is securely held. I stained the limbs with a combination of green, red and yellow leather dye and finished with 9 coats of Tru-Oil. The handle is built up with leather, covered with natural elk-hide and finished off with a Strunk-style wrap. There is no arrow rest so I shoot it off my hand. The tips were flipped up with dry heat to give the bow a slightly better profile. The bow holds about 1 3/4” of reflex at rest. It’s nothing fancy, but I kind of like it – I hope you do too.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:54:20 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline adb

Re: Vine Maple D-Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:54:38 pm »
Man, Gordon... you're a machine! You just keep crankin' out the eye candy. Have you ever made a crappy bow??? Your work is top shelf, and certainly motivates me.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »
That's a beautiful bow Gordon- I certainly like it too!

Do you have any trouble tuning arrows to your D bows?

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »
pulls 55# @ 57”

WWOW! 55# at 57"
Never seen a bow draw that far b4...   :)

just joshin' ya gordon.

Another Very Nice bow.
beautiful job!
Wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Barrage

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:36:59 pm »
Gordon, another great bow.  I always love your stain jobs!
Travis

John B.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:51:01 pm »
Again another beautiful bow.  And some great photography.

Care to give us a little tutorial on how to shoot good photos of our bows?  I know I'd love to see something like that.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
 I kinda like it as well,,, allot ;)  That is my favorite length and style. The profile looks awesome as always and looks like another great bow Gordon. 

Ps.   Lulyn and I went by Squaw Flat this afternoon. saw a tipi right about where Dave C. had his set up last spring. Lots of deer and other critters out and about

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:06:09 pm »
Gordon, every bow you make is amazing. And I second the idea of your photography - a photography "build along" would be a nice thing to help us take great shots. What type of camera do you use, lightiing, etc.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:34:34 pm »
Simply elegant, Gordon.  You make everything look good...you have a talent for that! :)  I'd like some tips on the photos as well.
south central VA

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 11:48:56 pm »
Another awesome bow Gordon, we must be thinking alike I just started a vine maple d-bow. I just put the finish on my first d-bow the serviceberry. Have you been steelhead fishing? I have been staying around the house playing with my new grandson. Greg

AKAPK

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:55:53 pm »
Nothing Wrong with Goin Fast if your like gordon ,he knows what he doing, Always very impressed by your work.Phillip Oh I don't think I want to meet the person with a 57" Draw but that would be interesting to see a bow that big.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:50 am »
Thank you adb. I do turn out dudes on occasion, I just don't post them.  :D

Thank you Kegan. I've not had a particular problem tuning arrows to this style of bow.

Good catch Wade - that would be quite the bow indeed!  :o Thank you for the compliment.

Thank you Barrage.

John, I don't think my photos are anything special. But I do pay attention to some basics: avoid cluttered backgrounds, use soft (diffuse) light whenever possible, keep the subject of your picture in focus, simple earthtone backgrounds are generally best for highlighting a bow. And it is always easier to get a good photo when the subject is nicely finished.

Keenan, I've always admired the style of bow that you like to build - it's no accident that mine are starting to look a little like yours  8) I can't wait to wait to get together with you and your group this year - I love that place.

Thank you hillboy.

Greg, great minds think alike I guess  ;D. I'm impressed with the number of bows that you've been cranking out. I can't wait to see a few of them! Jayne had surgery recently and I've been taking care of her - so no fishing. But that's okay, the wild fish don't generally show up unitl about mid-Feb anyway. Congratulations on the grandson - you have to send me some pictures!

Thank you AKAPK, I appreciate the compliment.
Gordon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 02:27:22 am »
Gee Gordon this is what your 3rd bow this month. Your a machine. Good job. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 08:55:12 am »
Another beauty gordon.I really like it,the dye work is beautiful.I'm just finishing up a hickory D-bow with similar stats,that I'll post as soon as the tru-oil cures. Again,Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »
Typical great craftsmanship from Gordon. And his pictures are an excellent example of his just-posted tutorial on taking pictures of your bow.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday