Author Topic: February's knapping challenge (Rogue river/ Gunther)  (Read 39965 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: February's knapping challenge (Rogue river/ Gunther)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 10:25:09 pm »
thank ya :D
Yep its rose quarts.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
I guess i will have to get out my knapping tools ... you gus are giving me the fever... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 01:46:17 am »
I'll stay our of this one since I'm SOOO Good at making them!  ::)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:06 am »
LOL Tiller!.
I've never made one before.
i tuck Billy's advice and trimmed my barbs as a dug out the notch.. that seemed to be the trick,  thanks billy.
also you really got to pay attention to how you support it, to much presher on the tip or the barbs will snap it.
for example i broke the other barb off that 1st try with my fingers.. i pinched it and snapped it right off. dont take much.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Allen7

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 04:21:52 am »
Boy these are hard.  I have a tough time getting these symmetrical.  I was up late tonight making these two.  I did have one failure.  The shorter wide one is out of Black Obsidian from Riley,OR.  The longer one is out of Glass Buttes Obsidian.  Would these qualify as Gunther points?

Allen - Happy Knapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:20 am »
Yup, them look great Allen and they sure look like Gunther's to me :). I don't know how you guys make em so small - I'm gonna have to break out the readin glasses and try it again ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36:48 am »
HEy leapingbare,

glad my advice helped ya.  It's real easy to break those barbs off, so when I get close to my final shape, I always pressure flake them on a flat surface...never in my hand.  The shape of your hand seems perfect for breaking off the barbs and points of small arrowheads since it isn't flat.  That has helped, although I still break barbs and tips off sometimes.  It just takes practice to learn what you can get away with and what you can't. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 04:25:37 pm »
Also, hold the barb on the opposite edge between thumb and forefinger and push chips off in the direction you are holding the barb.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »
WOW.you guys have done some sweet chipping on points from my home area (rogue valley)......hey paul,i have a question..in your photo you show your gunther point what the book in the back ground...looks like it has a butt load of points in it.....thanks john

Offline billy

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 11:25:43 pm »
That's the Overstreet's Arrowhead Identification guide.  It's a great book.  I've got the 7th edition, but I think it's up to the 9th or 10th printing now.  It's great for helping ID points from all over the country.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 11:33:47 pm »
I've got it too! Man there are some purty points in there and some real junkie looking ones to. But, he identifies them all and you get a seance that the old timers either made artwork out of them for arts sake or just wiped something out with a sharp edge to hunt with and to heck with the artsy partsy stuff and made meat!  :D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 02:26:05 am »
 Wow nice points ! I got to get out as soon as it stops snowing for a minute and do some knappin,I am still workin on points I started back in Nov. When I do I will attempt some of those winged beauties.Those are the points I would see down at Umitilla,Ore where the umitilla runs into the columbia river.Usually a quarter would cover them.They were washing out of the banks there so the corps of engineers went in and rip rapped the banks.(They are useful like that).   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 08:07:37 am »
Well here's my attempt at the challange.They are alittle big I guess but I'd have to get better glasses to go much smaller.Maybe I'll try smaller-later

Roger
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42:24 am »
Wow! Roger - nice work. Looks like everybody's stepping up to the challenge here. Too bad about that one ear, would have been a beauty - super glue anyone ::) ;D?
 Yep John, it is the Overstreet price and ID guide - can be found online. You'll notice in there (generally) that all the "junky" points were made later into the historic periods. Most the really old style's show a lot more care and dedication to perfection. 

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline flecha

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:20 pm »
I made this one last night, took about 45 minutes of concentration.  Being from blue glass I guess it would fit into the historic phase of contact.  I don't really like the inconsistent flake scars and serrations, but it is what it is.  I wish I had some nice agate like some of you have been posting, you all are doing some really nice work on yours.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas