Author Topic: February's knapping challenge (Rogue river/ Gunther)  (Read 39974 times)

Offline flecha

Re: February's knapping challenge (Rogue river/ Gunther)
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 12:32:16 pm »
Here are some Rogue River/ Gunthers I hafted up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
Those shafts look a might large at the tip. Try turning them down to points?  I think they often designed these points sot that when shot they would come off the shafts and stick in target and stay there.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:57 pm »

Shoot Cowboy, making em small is easy.  I start out with a nice blank, and start to make a nice sized point, and then end up with a dime sized point!  I didn't know I was supposed to. ;)  I was trying to make a decent sized point. ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline flecha

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 06:06:25 pm »
Yes, the shafts maybe a little thick, but they shoot well. 

As to how they were hafted, I don't really know; I wasn't there (no matter how much I may wish) ;D.  In a personal communication with Steve Allely, he showed me some pictures of original arrows with this style of point hafted and they had sinew wraps around the cutting margin in the same fashion I've done with these.  I am under the impression that they were often used with a composite arrow (main shaft and foreshaft) so maybe that is where the idea of them being designed to stay in the animal came from  ???
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline DanaM

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 06:20:01 pm »
Nice points flecha :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:33 pm »
Yep, you guys are making small look too easy ;). Everybody's really steppin up to the plate this month - nice work all! And those are some very nice arra's flecha!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:44 pm »
I agree, those are some killer arrows... would hate to be on the pointed end of one of those :o Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »
 Very nice looking points Fletcha. The one I hafted is on a foreshaft for a cane arrow. It has been beveled the entire length so it fits tight but will come out after it is in meat, if it doesn't go all the way through.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline flecha

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »
I like this one more than my one I put up out of blue glass.  This one is out of obsidian from Glass Buttes, Oregon (mile post 77 along hwy 20 between Burns and Bend).  I hope that doesn't disqualify my point because most of the obsidian used in SouthWest Oregon came up from Northern Cal.  The gunther points at the Gold Hill site that were obsidian were made from obsidian from the Medicine Lake flow.  Anyway, I really like the size, material, proportions and overall quality of this point.  I love the long, delicate, thin, lacelike barbs and needle like tip.  This one took longer than most to make...about 90 minutes.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Arnold Rojas

Offline cowboy

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »
That's a dandy flecha! Source of material or material used for that matter should'nt be much of a consideration right now. We're mostly just trying to see if we can even make the point I think :). Maybe later we'll narrow it down proper this and that. This is all about fun and what makes ya happy ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 09:07:49 pm »
that point is great brother, I love those glass points.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline billy

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2009, 10:47:49 am »
That's a beauty!  And it's not easy to make them out of something as brittle as obsidian.  GREAT job!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36:44 am »
Nice point ya got there.Ok the end of the month is upon us whats the March Maddness point going to be? I'm in knife mode right now but I'm ready to switch gears.I came home with a couple buckets of rock from Dade knapp-in that are just screamin' for my blood.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:40 am »
lets do Hand ground Gezan ripple flaked Egyptian blades for March!!  ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 11:25:47 am »
Two more days for Gunther's. That sounds challenging Jesse - you do one and show us what thier sposed to look like ;D.
 I'm up for most anything. Everyone should just throw a style in the hat and we'll go with the majority, aye?