Author Topic: Question on reflexed staves, short string pics  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Olschool

Question on reflexed staves, short string pics
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:47:04 am »
I started a new Osage selfbow and the stave had 3" of natural reflex and some propeller. The heatgun took care of the propeller and Ive got the limbs bending nicely, BUT,

how much weight does it take to get a reflexed bow to brace compared to final draw weight?

The stave is 58" ete, 1.5" at fades with straight taper to .5" at the ends so far. Limbs are .5" thick at fades tapered to 3/8" , but my scale is hitting 60# when the tips have moved 6", still about 3" short of brace height

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:53:01 am by Olschool »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Question on reflexed staves
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:06 am »
Keep taking it down really slowly. Reflexed staves take a lot of work to get the limbs down to the bracing point, but once they do, the weight goes fast and it's easy to come out underweight. That red-streaked osage is usually good stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:12 am »
Beautiful piece of wood,Like Hillbilly said take it easy to brace,when you think it is still to heavy you are probably close.If you think it is just right you may already be to light at full draw,it will trick you.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Olschool

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:27 am »
Thanks guys! I'm hoping for 60-65# when finished, just didn't want to take too much off to get it braced and find that was all I had  :o

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »
Just keep going. it'll take a bit longer to get a reflexed stave to brace, but once you're there, it goes quick. Don't spend anymore time than you have to with the long string!!

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »
Ol school, I recently had hernia surgery,so braceing bows was out for me, until I made one of these.After useing it for the past 2 weeks,I'll never go back to the push pull method.This jig has helped my building greatly. It keeps even stress on both limbs in the early stages of building,and will let you know which limb is stronger, early on,as  the weak limb will always  want to go down first. Brad Merkel taught me this a couple years ago.I just was to hard headed to use it.

The uprights are 12" long and cut on a 30 degree angle.Just adjust it for whatever length bow you are working on.I try to leave about an 1" of bow tip past each upright or rocker.

With high reflexed bows,as all have said, take your time and it will come.This jig will help.

Offline Olschool

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:41:04 pm »
Timo, that's pretty cool!
So.......... do you use that for working on tiller once it's floor tillered, or just to get the short string on the bow?

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:06 pm »
I use that jig for the floor tillering! And throughout the whole process.I don't even use a long string anymore.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »
Be careful and don't come in under weight.  When you have a scale hooked to a long string, it will read a good bit heavier than it will when you get it braced.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:18 pm »
Yeah listen to them. ;) I just finished a reflex deflex. I thought it was an easy 70#er but after bracing and a little work I came in at 51# I was shooting for 55- 60# it'll fool ya
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Olschool

Re: Question on reflexed staves, short string pics
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:20 am »
OK, got the short string on and tillered out to 29", showing 57@28"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:07:38 am »
Looks pretty good,If you have more weight to give I would probably get it bending in the fads a little more.That is pretty short for 29 in. draw.You got the most out of that piece. :) That is only about 56 nock to nock.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:53 am »
Your tiller looks good and you did a good job getting to 29" with that short of a bow. Well done!
  Your brace height looks a bit high to me. I usually go about 5 1/2" to 6" at brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:26 pm »
Looks good. Nice job. Timo, I like that set up. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Olschool

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »
Pat B, the brace height just clears the 5" fletch on my arrows.