Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 312796 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
friendship bow circle
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:54:06 am »
OK since Pat told on me I guess Ill let the cat out of the bag. LOL  My idea was to start a circle to build some bows.  Each participant would provide their own bow stave.  He could then rough it out then pass it on to the next person in the circle. That person can tiller or recurve, shorten or whatever they wish, then pass it on. When it is your turn the next step is up to you. You can tiller, recurve, add overlays, horn tips, backing, finish the handle, apply a finish, anything except remove the work of others.  When the bow is finished it would go back to the original owner of the stave, who owns the bow.  The only thing the owner would really get to pick would be the wood and the final weight.  The rest would be up to the circle. The owner could then decide if they want to send the bow to the participants to hunt with or just keep it.  It is unlikely that you would do the same thing to more than one or two bows because they would be at different stages when they get to you. All the bows would be different, but would be made by the friends here on PA.  Just a thought, wether good or bad I'm not sure. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
Justin, Like I said to you, this is an excellant idea. Count me in!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:22:30 am »
Souds good to me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:41:47 pm »
Justin--- Sounds like a good idea. I have a question? What if someone breaks a bow and is not the owner?I know -I know --you could come up with a thousand senarios.  bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:55:40 pm »
Bob, These are wood bows and breaks are inevitable and not much can be done about it. If we all do our best, that the best we can do. If one breaks then it is broken and a new one can be started.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:26:53 pm »
would you prefer stones or steel. lol, im game

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:44 am »
I had another suggestion to build our own then send it around to hunt.  At the end of the season we would draw to see who gets which bow.  I realize some guys are nervous to mess something up.  I am probably less of a bowyer than most of the guys on here. The fun of this project for me is that my friends here on PA each contributed to build the bow.  Like Pat said over on the community bow post, you can do something as little as handle wrap or tip overlays or include a couple of arrows.  Most guys are capable of building the bow so don't be scared. 

As for breaking bows, I agree with Pat, If one gets broke we can start another.   I am more likely to break my bow while hunting, so don't worry.  Also guys, I don't own this idea so if you have any ideas or suggestion PLEASE tell us what you think.    Thanks Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:32:49 pm »
 I like it.Great Idea Justin,I'm in.My only suggestion is the owner of the stave include a weight and draw length to shoot for.That would also help if we draw to hunt with it.That way nobody would overdraw it.And Jamie,Maybe a circle of people that want only to use stone tools?Eddie
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:36:31 pm »
Eddie that would be me and thimos. lol by the way shoot me an email with your address

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 09:54:09 pm »
Eddie has a good idea-1 2nd it-whatever that means ? Draw weight and draw length for sure- im for it if y'all decide to do this. no jamie-that would be 3-you thimos and me.-bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »
I like it.Great Idea Justin,I'm in.My only suggestion is the owner of the stave include a weight and draw length to shoot for.That would also help if we draw to hunt with it.That way nobody would overdraw it.And Jamie,Maybe a circle of people that want only to use stone tools?Eddie

Thanks Eddie, I should have stated draw length and weight to be determined by the owner.  That is what I meant by choosing weight.  I should have been more clear. I think we need to be specific on things like that so we don't have any confusion.  Does anyone have any other ideas or question we need to ion out before we jump in the deep end?  Also do we want to start now or wait until after the holidays when things aren't so crazy.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:50:41 pm »
I say to wait til after the holidays. Things are too crazy now with the holidays just around the corner and in most places hunting season is still on. Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 02:51:25 am »
That is what I was thinking Pat.  That would also give us time to select a stave to use.  I would say nothing to snakey would be best. Do we keep it selfbows or do we allow someone to select wood and backing? (boo and osage for instance) Also I think the fairest way to do it is each guy is responsable for shipping the stave to the next person in line.  And what about time to work on the bow before shipping it to the next guy so we get them all done in a timely manner. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 09:43:32 am »
This is a great Idea.I don't know about the stone,I appreciate anyone with that kind of tallant and skill, but I would be in on the steel,also don't know much about backing a bow with anything but rawhide or sinew so if we get a selfbow going like that I would love to be in on it.I hope all my short comings don't leave me out.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 11:01:10 am »
Pappy, If you want to be a part of this then youi will. I don't do many backed bows either. I'd say lets keep it self bows. I'm affraid that if we go with backed bows then it's gonna get complicated. I'd like to see it be the most simple self bows and see where we can go with it. We can always do another project when this one is done...or even as this one is going.    Pat

ps. By "the most simple" I don't mean unfinishes crappy looking bows. I usually make my bows pretty but most are still simple self bows.