Author Topic: New tillering tool  (Read 22967 times)

chuck

New tillering tool
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:11:23 am »
Guys i thought I would share this with yall. I have a 6'' X 1'' peice of wood. I drilled a hole in the middle and inserted a short pencil with the tip barley sticking out. As you slide it up and down the limbs you  can see the high and low spots. I have done two bows that way and it cuts back on the hinges. I saw this on a site a while back and if you hadn't tryed this it works good. Good luck hope I helped someone Chuck

DBernier

Re: New tillering tool
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 07:54:30 am »
Great idea Chuck and a heck of a lot cheeper than my Vernier.  :o  It works real good.

Dick bernier

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:08:23 am »
Chuck I seen the same thing on Trad gang,Eric Krewson a boyer from Alabama put it on a thread.
I have been meaning on trying it but clean forgot about it,glad you brought it up.I am going to give it a try.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:52:48 pm »
I must be addle Brained...cause I cant picture this at all....can you draw me a Picture...or take one????  I am serious...I am way visual when it come to understanding...I have to see!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

chuck

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:06:51 pm »
I wil try to find the web site where the tool is pictured. Chuck

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 12:42:39 pm »
Here is a link to what I think you are talking about....

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000075

Shakes.602

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:43 am »
  I doubt very seriously if Erik will mind. Unless he hit the Patent Office and didnt TELL anyone!!
           By the way, I am a "Newbie" on this Forum, but I like it Already!! I read the Magazine Cover to Cover!!
                            Just a Howdy from Me!
                                  Shakes.602

726whk

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:52:46 pm »
I like it........nice and simple...right up my alley. I'll have to try that.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »
Just tried it on a flat bellied pyramid bow....worked awesome.  A big thanks to Eric Krewson for that idea.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:48 pm »
The tool really works better than anything else out there. Make them, share them and spread the word.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:28:32 am »
Yes it dose Eric,I have used it now and thanks for the one you gave me at the Classic,I
had ment to make one and just never took the time,now I don't have to.Thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:21:32 pm »
New tillering tool? This is not new. Dean Torges calls it a walkie-talkie stick. This has been around for a LONG time.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 03:38:20 pm »
Wow so simple yet so effective.Never thought of it , but i will try it out 2morro
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 03:01:20 pm »
Dean's walkie talkie has a screw in it. When you run it up the limb you watch the gap between the screw and the bow limb then go back and scrape where the gap closes. With this tool it marks exactly where you need to remove wood, you don't even have to look at the gap when you run it up the limb, very quick and precise. Dean has a pencil marking tillering tool on his website but it is more complicated to make than this one and not as easily adjustable. I sent Dean a link to the the tutorial on this tool and he thanked me 

Offline Loki

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »
I got mine from a Company in Germany,the screw alter's the depth of the 'pencil'.It work's great!

Durham,England