Author Topic: bamboo turk horse bow  (Read 43228 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: bamboo turk horse bow
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 02:56:46 pm »
I'll be in the front row!  ;D

How much are the kits going to run? I have to keep thinking Budget,Budget...Budget!!!  :'(

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »
120.00 parts,rope and wedges,,,

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 06:09:12 pm »
Thats not bad! I might just be able to swing it.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »
James, that is an excellent deal!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 07:27:28 pm »
I might just have to take the class myself. That is a great deal.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2009, 09:02:24 pm »
thanks guys even if you dont purchase a kit ,please feel free to sit in....james

Tom B

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:00 am »
Sweet James.So RD is over for you?Looking foward to Pappy's place

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:21 am »
hey tom ,i will see you there

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »
That's a nice bow James.  Just out of curiosity how much reflex do you glue into these bows to start with?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 07:17:33 pm »
mark the bow in the pic has 2" reflex ,everything preloaded,back and belly strips,and core lams,im building my 7th one now and adding more reflex on each bow,by .50" at a time.the belly strip gives more trouble than anything else,with that much radical bend through the limb( knee),i have encountered longitudle split on the belly boo for its entire length,but now have overcome that problem.but only thruogh sacrificing early draw weight,but the bows still top out at mid to high poundage,similar to an actual horn bow.on a bow of this design and all natural,it only reaches its full potenal at longer draw lengths,hence-- using a thumbring ,although the more reflex i add the more early draw weight i  retain.....james

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2009, 08:33:56 am »
mark the bow in the pic has 2" reflex ,everything preloaded,back and belly strips,and core lams,im building my 7th one now and adding more reflex on each bow,by .50" at a time.the belly strip gives more trouble than anything else,with that much radical bend through the limb( knee),i have encountered longitudle split on the belly boo for its entire length,but now have overcome that problem.but only thruogh sacrificing early draw weight,but the bows still top out at mid to high poundage,similar to an actual horn bow.on a bow of this design and all natural,it only reaches its full potenal at longer draw lengths,hence-- using a thumbring ,although the more reflex i add the more early draw weight i  retain.....james

James
So you are saying the bow has kept 2" of reflex after tillering and shooting?  I find that I have to glue in about 4"~5" of reflex to keep about 2" on similar style bows of about 60" length. 

You must have easy access to Bamboo to be making all those Bamboo bows.  Bamboo is hard for me to get and it's expensive otherwise I would use it more also
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:18 am »
you have read my reply wrong ,the two " of reflex was glued in ,that particular bow in the pic,after the bow was shot in ,and settled in ,taking memory to the bends , it did not retain all the reflex that was built in,that is why each time i build one i add more gradual reflex to each bow.i have found ,through building many boo bows,that adding a little at a time is far more  sucssesfull than too much all at once...each new bow design that i make .the first bow starts out at its lowest poundage,to show all mistakes more easily,.then i adjust accordinally,the poundage,tiller,and overall dimension..after the third to fith bow i have pretty much got what i was looking for..

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:02 pm »
too cool
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »
  I don't think I have shot an all wood bow that short and that fast. James, if you run short of Boo, I have plenty and no room to store anymore. See you at Pappy's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?