Author Topic: How Old Were You?  (Read 6977 times)

jreb

Re: How Old Were You?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:22:53 pm »
I started about a year and a half ago im 33 now , I started finding points and really got into hunting for them and was facinated how they were made i bought a knapping kit online and ive been addicted ever since!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 11:37:20 pm »

Hi .  My name is Wayne, and I'm a Flake aholic. ;)

I got hooked, when I found my first arrowhead, on my uncle's Dairy Farm in Spooner, Wisconsin.  I was about 13 or 14 then.  Then a friend of mine showed me where an old Indian village used to be near Lake Osbourne, and showed me some old points he found, and we found some broken pieces, and flakes, and then he showed me where he found some old posts in a circle, about three feet down or so.  there were others also, but unfortunately it was in a housing development, and they built a house on it.  I tried to do some knapping about 20 yrs. ago, and didn't have a clue about what I was doing, so quit.  Started again about 3 or 4 yrs. ago, but same story.  I have Waldorf's book, but at the moment I don't have clue where it is.  Then I met Eddie Parker, ( Mullet )  last year, and he took me to meet Claude Van Order, and then Eddie gave me a bucket of practice rock, and after a lot of blood, and cussing, rubble piles, and one decent point, and a second bucket of good rock, I actually made a couple usuable points.  Still need to get consistent with the long flakes, and learn how to get decent spalls, and how to percussion flake.  So thanks to Eddie, and Claude I am a Flake Addict!  Always been interested in the Indian culture, history, and artifacts, even as a very young boy, and I will be 61 in June.  Glad to see you are passing it on.   8)

Wayne

Offline knap_123

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:33:04 am »
5 yrs ago  and i'mm 33 but not a flakeaholic till 2 yrs ago. always was a rock hound and point hunter and i love to look for flint!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:54:26 am »
  I started when i was 16 or so.. i am 25 now. so i reckon i been at it about 9 years. wow did not know i been knappin so long.
I have had some good teachers over the years. You know your hooked when you have more than a grand worth of rock..l

I order from neolithics about a month ago and nothing has came yet.  I am getting really anxious
David, Crag is slow at shipping internet orders.. he dose allot of knappins and when he ant at a knappin he is out getting rock.. but your get your order I'm sure,, he is old and slow but he is honest.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 09:09:34 am »
My dad gave me a point 50 years ago that he found at work.spent my first 17 years in NE Ohio farm country.Found points in the feilds and always loved anything related to Indian lore.Made a couple real crude points out of little chunks of flint I'd find in the feilds.About 3 yrs ago I watched a fellow pressure flacking at a Pow wow and that was it for me,he sold me some rock gave me a quick lesson ,so every time I see Dave I blame it all on him.Went to my first Knapp-in in Dade two years ago and met Claude and others ,grabbed more rock some tools and been making little ones out of big ones every chance I can
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Staver

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

Hi .  My name is Wayne, and I'm a Flake aholic.

Hi Wayne ;D

brian melton

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »

About 11-12 yrs ago. I think it is quite relaxing. I am able to set my normal day aside and think about nothing more the the rock in my hand. Makes me happy ;D

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 12:47:53 am »
I started in '85  and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I worked off & on without much improvement.  It has only been in the last 6 years or so that my skills have expanded. I also had to learn a new way to hold the piece I was working because I had limited feeling in the fingers in my left hand.  As I heal, I hope to get back to where I was a couple of years ago. I'm now 48.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.