Author Topic: First Boo/Ipe  (Read 7803 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: First Boo/Ipe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:35 pm »
Talk to Rich Saffold. He has made some that shoot even faster. He has one that is 9 years old, still has its same r/d shape and shoots in the high 190's?????
Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I just meant it is very uncommon to hit speeds like that with more than 10 grains per pound and only a 26" draw. Not saying yours doesn't. ;)  Just would not have guessed it. So great job :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 11:21:35 am »
Good pictures for a really nice laminate bow. Gotcha bookmarked for March LamBOM fun, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Rich Saffold

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 06:22:19 pm »
Took me a while to be able to get logged back onto this forum..

Your bow looks real sweet Bill, and looks like you got all the little things right which can make for a fast bow.

I've seen 26' draw bows hit those speeds with that arrow weight, and I think 28" is more optimum for 650-750gr. speed wise on these laminate bows..Selfbows are a little different in this aspect..Strings, loose skill, arrow spine, relative humidity all play into speed so I don't get too excited about high numbers and  don't get down if they aren't smoking feathers..

Sweetness of shot, accuracy and durability mean more to me. Speed is just the by-product. Of course its fun to warm up next to glass bow archers at a big meet with bows like these... ;) Especially the snobs.... ;D

I think both modern and Elb styles can work with this thin limb. I just keep the belly flat on the modern style, and use a shorter limb length. I have a 55# 70"ntn  modern style  with 3/4" wide limbs and It's quite fun to shoot..

Rich

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:21 pm »
Yes Rich it is very fun to shoot, especially the flatter trajectory!!!I love being able to aim basically the same from 10 to 20 yards.Around here deer like to jump/ duck the string and a fast bow is essential when shooting 20 to 25 yards at them.

Offline mike fisher

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »
WOW, nice water!how is the fishing there?Mike

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
Jesse, I've just made a bazillion of these bows, and what I have learned I try to pass on here. For how long you,  and  some of these guys here have been building bows  what you make is flat amazing..The skinny bows are just more "different" and challenging  kind of like using Ipe the first few times. To me this is the fun part.

The bow I mention here is just perry reflexed, but I have made several this past year which were center-shot r/d  with a built-
up style handle sections.  Part of it is making sure the grain runs straight down the belly, part of it is making sure no limb cross section is close to square, and also make sure you have a good taper both ways, as any straight sections tend to curve.

I find out if its straight during floor tillering since if it starts to twist now the limbs aren't bending straight, and then I go from there. Also the bamboo is thinner than on the   wider bows and great care is taken to make sure its symmetrical.

I have made a few which had to get shortened, the tips tapered to one side and then used side nocks for the string. Some of these ended up working great after all the tinkering. My latest experimental bow bow does this a bit still, but I   don't care since it feels like its cast is going to be real good.

Rich-

Shooter_G22

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:14 am »
Wow,

Very nice Bow...  i really like the work yo did on this one brother...   Good Job ;)

Looks like you got a nice spot for fishing to huh???

realy like the bow...   i got a piece of boo backing waiting to be used but i was thinking of using this mystery wood i have here that looks like could be some breed of wlnut or ipe...  might have to just try and make one too...