Author Topic: Things you don't see in Ky... But you might in Florida  (Read 30901 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Things you don't see in Ky... But you might in Florida
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »
The first picture is dedicated to Eddie, my tour guide ;D   He played tourist long enough for me to get the picture. :o

The second pic is a Mexican eagle (I think).   Eddie says he's been trying to get a picture of one for a while... I didn't have any trouble ::)

Then there's the hogs.  I never saw so many hogs in my life!  It seemed like everywhere I went, I saw hogs. 
 We killed a few the first couple days we hunted. But after that, we had turkeys on our minds.  I shot one with Eddies pistol and he killed one with a rifle and one with buckshot.  Every day I hunted I had opportunities to shoot hogs. Some as close as 5 or 6 yards. 8)

That's IndianCharlie (Charlie Parrish)  with a nice Osceola gobbler he killed. He called it in with a bamboo trumpet call.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Things you don't see in Ky... But you might in Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
These next pictures are some of the other wildlife I managed to catch with the camera.  On top of all these. I saw river otters, coons, deer, rabbits, a bobcat, a couple of snakes and several other birds and lizards.
 Lots of interesting critters running and crawling around down there. 
The only alligator I saw, just had his nose stuck out of the water and didn't make a good picture. >:(

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:07 pm »
Nice Pictures....but what about getting Lost and missing your Flight????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:49 pm »
 That is a nice camera! Those pictures came out great. What about the Osceola's?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »
And finally...Here's a few picture of some of the scenery.  This terrain is a loooong way from what I'm used too.
  The first picture is of a palmetto thicket.  This stuff goes for acres and acres.  Some places for miles and miles!  If you shoot something and it makes it into this stuff, there's a good chance it's gone!  The stems on this stuff has a row of teeth down each side like a course hacksaw blade and would do a number on your legs if you went very far into it.
  The rest are just pictures of the scenery.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:12 pm »
Destructo, I didn't get lost ::) I just took the long way around and didn't make it to the gate on time.  It was all fun anyway. ;D
  What turkeys Eddie?  There's no turkeys around there... ::)  Oh!  You mean the one I missed with that gun of yours. ;)  I think the barrels crooked on it.  You need to take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out.

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:25:14 pm »
Nice pics. That was better than Nat. Geo.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »
 That ol' Winchester is kinda wore out. There was always the 10 gauge, or Beretta. I think what we needed was less cold front and wind.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »
Oh well...Sometimes you get 'em, sometimes you don't.  I have to say. That was about as much fun as I've ever had trying though. 
  I WILL KILL AN OSCEOLA someday. Just not this year.  :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »
 One thing I have to say, is Shannon is one hell of a hunter. He hunted his butt off in 80 degree weather in something he wasn't used to. This kind of enviroment can be a shock for people that are used to seeing a hill for a landmark. Down here you have to memorize the horizon outline of trees so you can navigate in the dark or find your way back to camp in the daytime. These turkeys don't gather in the same field everyday or gobble all the time. You have to hunt for them or just sit and call. Most of the time they are o the move looking for hens, and these boys have been after them since late December. Some hens have Polt's right now.
 We had some birds coming from over a mile away, and they might gobble and let you know,  that it would take two hours if they weren't distracted. And Osceolas' have no problem about diving off or coming out of that thick palmetto, or wading water , unlike Easterns.
  When he comes back next year, I have no doubt Shannon will get one, heck, I might have a "Bessie" for him. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
what you got hanging in the bag?  the coons were rough when i was down there.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »
That would be a "poop" bag ;D  Ask Eddie how it smelled >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:18:26 pm »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  8)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:55 pm »
Looks like it was a fun trip with some meat to boot.  Nice pics too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 12:23:55 am »
Sawtooth palmetto, cabbage palm, live oaks and spanish moss; except for the heat and humidity, looks like heaven!   You guys have too much fun!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC