Author Topic: Fletching with silk?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline TRACY

Fletching with silk?
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:59 pm »
I see folks with arrows that are hand fletched with silk thread spiraled through the feathers for attachment. I've never fletched this way and I'm interested in giving it a try.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you , Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Little John

Re: Fletching with silk?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:27 am »
I am no expert here but I can get then done. Best thing I can sugest is just to get after it and learn from your mistakes. Nothing lost and you will get better soon. I have used fletching jigs and then added the thread also Processed the feathers by hand then hand fletched then wraped with string and all inbetween. I once took raw arrow materials on an elk hunt and made a few around the campfire durind the middle of the day and hunted with them that afternoon.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:45:01 am »
Thanks LJ. I've been getting a lot of experience with turkey feathers and sinew on cane and really enjoy/appreciate the end result. You're right, I'll just have at it and learn by my mistakes. Too many interests and not nearly enough time ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:22 am »
I glue the feather down first, make sure the quills are nice and flat on the front and back so the silk will lay nice.
You can measure and mark the shaft so the spacing is even but I just start wrapping and do it by eye, I use a tooth pick to
seperate the barbs as needed. I also loosely clamp the shaft in a vice so I can rotate it. Have fun eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:01:06 am »
Thanks for the info Dana, I'll give it a try.

Tracy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:25 am »
Tracy, a few yours ago someone posted pics of a simple jig for hand fletching shafts. It may have been Jamie.  It is basically a small piece of cardboard(or another similar material) with a shaft size hole in the middle and slots radiating out at the appropriate angle(ie. 120 deg for a 3 fletch). This jig holds the feathers as you wind the thread.  There was also a jig for holding the shaft while working on it.
   Do a search to see if you can locate that thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
I think I will make a simular jig to mark the location of the fletches for hand fletching, to get them equally spaced around the shaft. Good Idea.    kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:57:34 am »
I often use a little cardboard thingy to mark the fletching evenly on the shaft. As for wrapping through the feathers, it helps me if I say a lot of cuss words while I'm wrapping them and unwrapping and re-wrapping.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:06:58 pm »
I often use a little cardboard thingy to mark the fletching evenly on the shaft. As for wrapping through the feathers, it helps me if I say a lot of cuss words while I'm wrapping them and unwrapping and re-wrapping.

Been there before Steve :D Think I may have invented a few new curse words in the process ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:25 am »
Does it make any difference if you start at the nock end and wrap towards the point or vice versa? I'm left handed and rarely in my right mind ;D

Thanks Tracy

Any preference on silk thread, heavy or lite?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »
Never tried working backwards ??? As for the silk I use the stuff 3 rivers sells as I can't find any real silk thread anywhere else.

Manistique, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 01:43:34 pm »
this might be the link referred to for the simple fletching jig

http://www.primitiveways.com/fletching_jig.html

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:15 am »
That's the one D. Thanks for finding it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
Thanks Dana, Pat and Diligence.