Author Topic: another new set of cane  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
another new set of cane
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:57 am »
Pappy ain't the only one whats got friends that give him nice stuff! ;D  Look what was in the mail yesterday. These are hill cane arrows. Six are completed but without fletching, one Cherokee two fletch and a completed hunting arrow(this one is not hill cane) with it's one solo quiver. He also sent a bag of fleece string silencers.
 The hill cane arrows all have footings but except for the color change you can't even feel the transition. They also have added wood self nocks. I'm not sure what wood Art used for the nocks and footings but they look like maple. 
Here are a few pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: another new set of cane
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:18:32 am »
...OH! :o   I forgot to mention that it was Art Butner that sent these to me.  ;D   I better be more appreciative or he won't send me nothing else. :(   Thanks so much, Art. You know how much I love them! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
great looking arrows Art, Pat you are one lucky fellow. Id like to see how the foots are made, looks like some fine craftsmanship for sure.
Boo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:53:15 am »
Beautiful arrows Pat,it is great to have good friends that are talented.  :)
   Pappy    
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:35 am »
Pappy, these will be at the Classic Show and Tell!  ;) "Ain't it good to know you got a friend..." 8)
  Bobby, Art told me these are a new method he is using. He didn't tell me the trade secrets though. ;) Note: not wrapped at the foreshaft. He said he has not had one break yet. I guess that's why he sent them to me...kind of a guinea pig I guess. ;D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »
Very sharp looking arrows! Great job and gesture
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:41 pm »
Nice arra's Pat, sounds like we all will be well armed at Pappy's :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »
Yep, the word is out that you're the man to test arrows   >:D. You're correct, that's maple foreshaft and nock material....................Chinese maple that is. That's just my standard conical insert method for both the foreshaft and nock Pat. What's new is that no wrap is required for the foreshaft. Brother Keith tested some similar arrows using that never-ending-draw of his.  He couldn't get 'em to fail after shooting 'em into a red oak tree using his 58# boo bow. 

Oh, could have swore that broadheaded arrow was made out of your hill cane. Oh well, must have been the one I didn't get back that day of hunting. Glad you like 'em.

ART B

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »
COOL! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:57 pm »
Art, the hunting arrow just says "cane" on it and not hill cane like the others.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »
Thanks everyone, glad you like my work. I wrote a lot about the conical method I use on cane/boo arrows on the old PA board. Can those still be pulled up?

Pat, if it's around 550gr then it's some of the hill cane that you sent me several years ago. Hill cane and Tonkin/Bambusa are the only cane I'll broadheaded. Switch/river cane and some of the lighter boo I use with target points.

ART B

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:51 pm »
I think it has 546gr or something like that written between the feathers. Perfect weight for my next elk hunt!!! ;D

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:33:44 pm »
Yep, that's one of your cane Pat.

For those of you interested here's how I do my conical inserts.

I made my conical drill bit from a 5/8" wood spade bit. Just used the existing tip taper and filed the back to match which created the conical design.

First a note here: use thick walled cane with the conical system. For thin walled stuff then go with a pin and shoulder system and use a wrap. Wrap some masking tape around the end of the cane shaft and drill out the pith. I secure my shaft in a vise and eye ball.

The conical insert I taper in an electric drill using a file. Drill also secured in a vise.

Now for gluing in the insert. I use the cheap thin runny super glue that Wally World sell. Reason for the thin runny glue is that it penetrates the pith better and gives more time for alignment. Don't worry if things don't come out exactly lined up. You can heat straighten later.

ART B

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »
Here's one I tested myself. Boy, it's not easy to hit a target just one inch wide (iron pipe) ;D.

Note the split foreshaft and blunted field point.  But no damage to the joint.

ART B

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:53 pm »
I see you are using Jason's arrows for your testing.  ;D