Author Topic: Making a Dalton.  (Read 7093 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Making a Dalton.
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:41:43 pm »
Thought I'd show my method of reduction starting out with a rock :). I like to go around the rock and stitch the edges which is simply to knock off chunks back and forth all the way around. This step produces good platforms for both sides. Then you can start your primary thinning, I sometimes get a little carried away at this point trying to get the largest spalls I can for arra points and wind up with a lot of my signature steps and hinges ;D. This ain't the best rock in the world but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
 After spalling and shaping both sides, pecking the edges back and forth, back and forth, back and forth - well you get the idea. Then your ready for some Ishi action. I used different size copper boppers for the reduction by the way, ranging in size from about 3/4" to 1/2" you'll have a feel for when to go to a smaller size bopper after awhile. Several passes with the Ishi stick, and I use my carborundum abrader to help shape the peice as I go along. Once I'm satisfied I've done all the damage I need to with the Ishi, then I switch over to my small hand flaker. I kinda rough up the edges (just a little) with a fine abrader then pick all the little deltas back and forth - whatever side they need to go to to get the edge nice and straight. This last step is a combination edge straightening, sharpening, and symetry check. And voila! Entire process took about an hour - but can take years to learn the process ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: Making a Dalton.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:26 pm »
more.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:03 pm »
smore.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:49:03 pm »
 :)

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »
Paul:  Great for you to share your skills and knowledge.  I can see all kinds of points just out of the spalls!  Will enjoy watching you at the Classic!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »
Cowboy,  Great looking Dalton!!!  Thanks for taking the time to show  how its's done.  Love to see the steps everyone uses in producing a point .  Looking forward tol  more of your" how it's  done" shows. Thanks again.

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »
Cool stuff there C-boy! Wondering about how long it took you though? Dark,light, dark, then light again?LOL

Nice looking piece of rock. Thanks for posting.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:07:28 pm »
Thanks fellers - that was some good enjoyable therapy this morning.

It did take roughly an hour to build Timo. Had some heavy clouds moving through this am with some sprinkles - oh, that just reminds me that we haven't had a drop of rain since I put the garden in two weeks ago. Missed us again darnit :'(.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:20:06 pm »
Thanks for the knap along Cowboy, much appreciated. You definitely have a gift!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:36:02 pm »
once again...awesome
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »
Sweet Cowboy! I still cant do it ::), but cool just the same, lol....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:46:17 pm »
  Thanks, Paul.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:48 am »
Nice point!  That is also one heck of a chip pile.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

jreb

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:37:22 pm »
Great post , great debtage pile too i'd love to rummage thru it!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:56 pm »
Paul, now thats really cool! Think ya can help me make a nice flaking pad like that at the classic?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill