Author Topic: Was the two fletch a real standard for the Cherokee?  (Read 20093 times)

Offline billy

Re: Was the two fletch a real standard for the Cherokee?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
Part Cherokee,

I examined a few original Cherokee arrows in the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. a little over a year ago.  The shafts were mostly split hickory, about 33- 35 inches long.  Two of the arrows were made from shoots that had a pith in them...I'm assuming they were sourwood.  But ALL the arrows had the Cherokee style two-feather type of fletching that several people have posted pics of.  Also, the feathers appeared to have been put on with a twist to help them spin in flight.  But the fletching was in rather poor shape, and some didn't have any feathers at all.  They were all secured with sinew.  The feathers were cropped quite low and were lower profile than the ones people have posted pictures of, but they are basically the same except for feather height.  The fletching was wild turkey wing feathers and the arrows came from Cherokee, North Carolina, though there were no dates on the arrows that indicated when they were collected.  Hope that helps!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:11 pm »
Nice arrows and info everyone. I've wondered why Al Herrin said that in TTB as well. I think Steve answered my question there. I'll add a pic of one of my two fletch arrows for the heck of it. This one is wild turkey tail feathers. I think they work great and are easy and quick to do once you get the hang of it.
Alan

Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:57 pm »
One more question brothers, with these type of feathes, has anyone had problems with the feathers hanging up in brushy shot situations? looks like the helicle would grab  or catch limbs if the feathers weren't glued down.. I am not being critical of an age old design, just plan on building some for hunting and am particular about my arrows ::)  ;) thanks .. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 12:19:27 am »
Mike, I've never considered that situation but I could see where it could happen. The arrow I got from Art with the 2 fletch is wrapped the full length of the feathers. On my last 2 fletch arrows(hybrid design) I use a bit of fletch tape in the center of the feathers to hold the feathers to the shaft along with the wrap, forward and aft. It eliminated any noise when shot also.
   With 90deg of helical or twist to the 2 fletch, the arrow spins thus helping to eliminate any wind planing.
These are 3 of my last season hunting arrows. Two Cherokee style 2 fletch(my version) and one of my hybrid 2 fletch. And the next pic is Art's version of the Cherokee 2 fletch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 12:38:46 am »
I really like the primitive look and simplicity of the arrows..they would be great for wingshooting. easy to make and less feathers to lose ;D ;) Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:27 am »
PatB, it looks like your arrows are fletched with the back side of the feathers on the outside.  Is that the case or is it just the picture.  It seem it would make sense doing it that way to maintain the same twist while being able to use both wings.  Such left wings front side of the feather and right wings back side of the feathers out and the arrow would spin the same direction.  Is this anywhere near correct?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 01:44:32 am »
Yes, The back side of the feather is out. I think you get a better fletching with the feathers set that way. It may also depend on the feather you are using, whether it be primary flight feathers, secondary wing feathers or tail feathers but for me, they work best inside out....and they all work for this type of fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 11:18:31 am »
Hedgeapple, the main reason I always put the dull side out with this type of fletching is because of the direction of curvature on the feather. If you put the shiny side out, the feather curves away from the shaft and leaves space between the shaft and feather. I'm now working on an article for PA about this style of fletching.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:11 pm »
Hey guys thank you so much guys. This has been a question in my mind for a while.
This sight rules!!!
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly and PatB
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline billy

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:37 pm »
The arrows I saw in the smithsonian had the dull side of the feather toward the inside (or toward each other).  The top of the feather (which was the more distinct color) was toward the outside, but I guess the proof is in the pudding.  Hell, it doesn't matter if you put the feathers on backwards and upside down...if the arrow flies straight, that's all that matters!! 

Marietta, Georgia

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 10:53:50 pm »
Wow, guys this is great information. My wife is about 80% Cherokee and I have been interested in the culture for years. I have a basket quiver and two 2 feather fletched cane arrows I bought on the Reservation in North Carolina. I have just become interested in primitive archery and those 2 arrows are calling me. I told my wife I intended to research the fleching and try my first arrow making using this technique. I am very excited to try it now! By the way, I have not been there in several years, but the museum in Cherokee, NC is fabulous and I think they have upgraded it just recently. I now can't wait to return.
Chasing Crow 
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 11:15:15 pm »
As far as feathers go, I have had problems using 2 different feathers. By mistake I put a right and left wing secondary on the same shaft. The arrow flew like crap if it was put on the string one way, but if you flipped it over it flew good when put on the string the other way. I was tring to put 2 different colored feathers on so it would look better and messed the whole thing up. 1 of the feathers was stronger than the other, and it wind plained bad.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
 One thing I have noticed is if you use two secondary feathers, Whether turned dull side in or reverse them so they lay down, when you add a stone point with some weight forward it fly's like a dart. I still mount the full secondaries with a slight twist.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?