Author Topic: Buzzard primaries...  (Read 23661 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Buzzard primaries...
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:25:14 am »
yay or nay?   ???  Lol I saw a buzzard feasting on the side of the road this morning and was just wondering if anyone has ever used their primaries as fletchings.   
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Buzzard primaries...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:04 am »
Great traditional fletching material, judging from all the old arrows that were fletched with them. Also VERY VERY illegal. All raptors are protected, and you can't legally posses their feathers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
wow didn't know that.  Even if they molt you can't pick up the feathers and use them that way?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:24:33 am »
Nope. Federal offense.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:58:18 pm »
Leave em alone off bird or a road kill like Hillbilly said. Federal offense and ifn they find ya with some ya will wish the IRS er organized crime is after ya ! :o ;D.......bob

Offline african man

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:06:11 pm »
me i'm always picking up road kill , got a nice forest buzard and owl the other day ..... but then again this is africa .... no feds around here ... ::)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:12:02 pm »
If I want to simulate buzzard feathers on my NA style arrows, I use domestic goose primaries.  Not a perfect match but very close...and perfectly legal.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »
If I want to simulate buzzard feathers on my NA style arrows, I use domestic goose primaries.  Not a perfect match but very close...and perfectly legal.  ;D

that's a good idea. 

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:27:43 pm »
i very rarely speak out against mans laws, but this one that i have to protest for sure. i can seeing not being allowed to kill the birds, they are very important in the ecosystem and reproduce slower than your average birds, but who is the government to arrest you for possessing one of gods creations especially on your own property.  its blatent abuse of power. thats like telling me i am not allowed pick up a dead stick.....its just retarded.  they can cut down the redwoods and strip mine but i cannot pick up a hawk's feather.....incredible

ok sorry for the outburst, but this is one subject that really makes me sit back and say  who the f$%^&* do these people think they are
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

nickf

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
I recently found a dead buzzard aside the road. sneaky I pulled the feathers out, went home, and fletched a war arrow with it. The fletching looked good, until I loosed my first shot. then my second, and third... and the fletching was totally ruined. It's beautyfull, but way to weak.

I wouldn't advice it for bound-on fletches, maybe just glued on, but you'd better be carefull and use low fletches to keep them as strong as possible.

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »
i very rarely speak out against mans laws, but this one that i have to protest for sure. i can seeing not being allowed to kill the birds, they are very important in the ecosystem and reproduce slower than your average birds, but who is the government to arrest you for possessing one of gods creations especially on your own property.  its blatent abuse of power. thats like telling me i am not allowed pick up a dead stick.....its just retarded.  they can cut down the redwoods and strip mine but i cannot pick up a hawk's feather.....incredible

ok sorry for the outburst, but this is one subject that really makes me sit back and say  who the f$%^&* do these people think they are

well said.

I kinda see why they have to outlaw the possession of the feathers though.  Anybody can kill them and then later claim they just "found" the feathers.  

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »
Illegal. Ignorance is no excuse from the officer's standpoint. Make sure that you know exactly what you are using to fletch with or it could be costly and even revoke your privellege to fish and hunt for life, worst case scenario.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
Ryan, didn't say I agreed with it, just saying how it is. Turkey vulture primaries are actually stiffer than turkey or goose primaries, and bigger, too. I found one a while back and looked it over good. They look like they would work really well if they were legal, but they're not, so I 'm not going to take any chances.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Dutchman58

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »
Leave em alone off bird or a road kill like Hillbilly said. Federal offense and ifn they find ya with some ya will wish the IRS er organized crime is after ya ! :o ;D.......bob

The federal government IS organized crime!
Remember the Alamo!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »

Well, there are no trully 100% free societies in the world. We all put restrictions on what can and can not be done. If you want to change the law you just need to get enough people together that agree with your thinking and it can be changed in a democratic society. But good luck if you do decide to work at changing it in the US as it will take time and lots of money or lots of influence!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill