Author Topic: Buzzard primaries...  (Read 23757 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Buzzard primaries...
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 02:09:49 am »

Oh yeah you do Eddie, it's the one's you don't hear that get you! ;D

Wayne

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 02:21:42 am »
Hawk,

the decisions being made are the same type of people who would be in jail if they weren't working for the govt.  The only reason why people go to work for the govt is because they're too stupid or lazy to get a job in the private sector.  Just go to the DMV if you wanna see "cream of the crop" govt. employees.  Requirement: half a brain and absolutely no ambition.  If you have either, or both, you're disqualified for any govt position! 

Woah now, I work for the government and I like to think I have a bit more than half a brain and a tiny bit of ambition. It is all the legal red tape that usually causes the problems in these sorts of situations, unfortunately sometimes it is because someone is being lazy, but show me one job that doesn't have lazy people somewhere. I run into stupid laws created specifically for government bodies, that destroy my work schedule, but I have to abide by in my job all the time or I could be prosecuted for not following them.

Good grief these feather posts get hectic  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 02:25:07 am »
That is because there is little we use that can get you in trouble as quick as the wrong feathers.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 02:33:26 am »

"The federal government IS organized crime!"

Says  it  all:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 02:49:06 am »
That is because there is little we use that can get you in trouble as quick as the wrong feathers.  :o

Yeah I was just reading through this and I am just baffled about how little people know about raptor feather laws. I guess I understand some of the comments on my thread a lot better now though, I guess I just assumed people knew for some reason.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline stickbender

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 04:53:26 am »

I would strongly advise not to use any illegal feather, or well eagle feather, but I seriously doubt that the overall majority of game officers would be able to tell the difference from vulture feathers, and goose feathers, unless you got a case of diarrhea of the mouth, and told them, or someone who would tell them, or they should over hear you talking about them.  I think most of them would be more interested in the primitive style arrow as a whole, and not so much as, "Hey, what kind of feathers are those?!"  Oh, these?  Why these are Passenger Pigeon feathers...... ;D  I have some pterodactyl feathers at home.  Also some bat feathers.  I suppose if you wanted go to the trouble, you could say that they are goose feathers, just dyed with magic marker, and you could wet your fingers, and rub a little of the magic marker off on your fingers.  Might convince them...... O:)  But like it was said, why take the chance with so many other feathers to choose from.  Hawkbow, as for the birds, being confiscated, and destroyed, The Native American society, can make a pretty big dust cloud in Washington, especially with the clout they have up there now.  Maybe they should contact their representatives.  I believe they have one of their own in office up their.  Can't remember his name, something Horse.  I think.  Anywho, the best course is just to let it go to waste.  Afterall that is the government way.

Wayne

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 10:50:50 am »
Wow...   :D  who diug this old thing up?  ??? This was one of my first posts here...   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline StevenT

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2009, 11:55:18 am »
Hummmm.... may be an old post, but for me it was very informative. As with another post, I had no idea about the laws and feathers. Just got into knapping this summer as a hobby. For me, this was good info. I had no idea a dead buzzard could get you into so much trouble.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:17 pm »
cool, glad you enjoyed it,  I didnt know either as I had to ask too.  I am glad I didn't use any of the feathers now that I know it is against the law.  Didn't mean anything bad by my statement, just curious and inquisitive same as you. :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline StevenT

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:49 pm »
Heck, nothing bad taken. Just saying the post opened my eyes a bit to some laws I was not aware of. Over on the Eastern Shore, there are big ugly buzzards that clean up the road kill. Sometimes they become the road kill. And since I am just learning about bows, arrows, points, etc.... and at some point would like to make my own equipment, I could have very easily stopped to harvest a few feathers. And from what I have read here, that could have gotten me into a lot of trouble. And you know what they say about ignorance of the law and excuses. So this was good to know.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2009, 12:51:42 pm »
There is lots of good, useful info here on PA and not just building bows and arrows. ;)
When in doubt, ASK!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »
Well, there's a few different ways of looking at this.

First, I totally understand the reasoning behind the Migratory Bird Act. There are, unfortunately, people and entities in this country that would wipe out an entire species if there was a buck or a cheap thrill in it. That's why the Passenger Pigeon is extinct and the buffalo almost became extinct. The Carolina Parakeet was totally wiped out just for feathers to decorate ladies' hats.

However, the law is too tightly bound in the paper and not spirit. There are people who found abandoned nestling crows, raised them, and love them as pets. They're also breaking the law. The same with game birds. See, you can shoot all the crows you want in some states. But to keep one as a pet is against the law. This is simply ridiculous beyond words. A person can shoot as many Mourning Doves in a season as the law allows. Let him find one as a nestling, raise it, and then it imprints and he keeps it, he's breaking the law. What kind of law permits death but not life? Why would a hunter not be allowed to give life as well as taking it? No one's saying he should be raising them and selling them as pets. But to find one that would ahve died, what, he can't go get a permit? The law is too tightly bound in paper and, as a result, it actually causes as many deaths at it prevents in many cases.

There are also people for whom raptor feathers have Spiritual significance. That being Native Americans, both enrolled and unenrolled. There are lots of Natives who are unenrolled and actually have more Native "blood quantum" than some actually enrolled in a tribe. In the Cherokee, for example, if your ancestors did not appear on the various federal government rolls, you're not a Cherokee according to both the tribe and the feds. Bearing in mind that these federal rolls came as the result of the Trail of Tears that thousands of people died on. So, if your ancestors resisted and hid out to preserve their own identity of life, then they actually lost their identity. Why does this matter? Because those unenrolled Natives have no legal right to possess raptor feathers. So, here, the federal government technically denies religious freedom as guaranteed under the First Amendment. What happens if a Native of 50% Indian blood quantum intermarries outside the tribe and his children are 25% blood quantum and the tribe has a 25% blood quantum requirement? If they intermarry, their children lose the religious freedom to possess raptor feathers. These are things to think about. In such cases as unenrolled Natives, they may have to break the law for their own religious faith to possess raptor feathers they find. Is it their fault that certain federal government policies resulted in the destruction and/or relocation of tribes and those tribes were forced to model themselves after that federal government? Again, things to ponder.

I'm not saying anyone should fletch arrows with raptor feathers. We don't need to. And I'm not disputing anything others have said here. I just wanted to bring up some other points of view that others have touched on. Thanks.
Living a dream...