Author Topic: new at this  (Read 6204 times)

Offline redwasp

Re: new at this
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:05 pm »
very nice, back in Ole Miss there was plenty river cane. up here in Penn. I can't find it. i love your points beautiful arrows man. Thats the way I fletch my primitve arrows. gotta love those tail feathers
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
Very nice looking heads complimented with some awesome looking points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »
Those are nice looking arrowheads. How do you shape them so well and is coral difficult to work with?

Winston

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 08:18:52 am »
Thanks for the replies, too kind.
Broken Arrow,I started this journey by taking up flint knapping and just now gitting into arrows and even trying to make a bow.The coral varies alot most of the time you see a coral point it has been heated.I have a photo of a raw coral point in the "flintknapping" section under hand fluting clovis.Heating the coral brings up the color and makes it alot easier to work.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:37 pm »
Great looking arrows!  I too have been bit by the arrow-making bug!  Still learing how to knap points.  I have fitted some of my primitive arrows with steel target points but don't like them taking away from the "primitiveness" of my arrows.  I need to find something else to use until I learn how to knap better!

Your fletching look different...is the half fletch used as the cock feather?  does the half fletch effect the flight of the arrow?

Thanks!
Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD

Offline billy

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 12:59:45 am »
Beauties!!  Now don't get all soft and wussy when a deer walks in front of you....just slam those things right thru him....or her!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:32 pm »
Billy have you seen the deer down here?You'd be laughin' so loud it would scare them off,yall have bigger rabbits !Speakin' of soft and wussy you ever hit anything with those points I sent ya?
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »
 Roger, ya'll need to feed those down where you're at. They've been getting a few in the 200# range up here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 03:27:15 pm »
Howdy BonePile,

I've also just begun my arrow makin', and I thought it was interesting that you and I are taking two differant approaches to this learning process.  I am moving slowwly - learning (and trying to understand) as much as possible before moving forward.  While you are learning by doing.  I've done a ton of reading and research...  Meanwhile, you have these really nice arrows to show off - I got squat!  I'll have to try a little more learning by doing.

In your intro, you mentioned, "as far as weights and such haven't gotten that far yet."

Here's a few pieces of info on arrow weights, and arrow tuning...

-In Dean Torges' website, 'The bowyer's Edge' (Blog?), Mr. Torges wrote an article, 'Matching Bows and Arrows'.  This article has much to do with arrow weight and its affect in flight and arrow penetration.

-In Primitive Archer magazine, Vol. 16, Issue 6, there is an informative article called 'Let's Gain Some Weight' by Yuma Joseph S.  He talks about weight distribution in an arrow; where FOC is a ratio between measured center of the arrow vs. arrow balancing point.  Yuma talks about the importance of this ratio in arrow flight and archer's paradox.

-In Primitive Archer magazine, Vol. 17, Issue 1, there is an informative article called 'Traditional Bow Tuning - the Bare Shaft Method' by R. Hust.  Well...  The title pretty much describes the article.  And, it's a good read.

Anyway, I'll go back outside now, and start working on some arrows.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Canoe

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:46:02 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey