Author Topic: to hot to knap, whats your temp?  (Read 24951 times)

Offline knap_123

to hot to knap, whats your temp?
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »
hey guys, well its to freakin hot to knap or do anything out in this AL.  heat.  no wind and 99  outside,   ughhhhhh! :P  so i decided to post some pics  but i'm doing it the lazy way today.   heres a link to my photo bucket page and the first page is last weeks points. but please check out any other pics i have.  and whats your temp  were you at and how you  beating it?   i'm on trhe comp of course inside.http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/knap_123/

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: to hot to knap, whats your temp?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:15 pm »
That's some mighty fine work knap! and some pretty rock. It's 101,101,103 on Thurs. then a cold front on  Friday - 98 :-X.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:16:27 pm »
Really nice chippin,and I see you have 3 beautiful ladies in your life? same here.

Been running 98 for the past several days, I'm a self employed carpenter so I go to work early and try to quit at 3;30 Under the hose alot.

I have a cool shop so I can knapp without much trouble. They are calling for this heat for several more days. It wouldn't be to bad ifin the humidity would just let up a bit.....I started carrying a matchete to cut the air where ever I walk. ;D

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:29 pm »
I made a few out of creek rock ,hard stuff I keep getting Guitar picks  instead of points ,Ill be glad when my load of dacite gets here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:27:42 pm by Jaeger »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »
Low 90's lately (cold front).  Mostly around 100 and windy.  Doesn't put a damper on the knappin' though.  I just keep a large pitcher of ice water within arm's reach.  And there's also the garden hose.  Oh yeah, and something to drink. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:30:52 pm »
103 yesterday...no wind and 68% humidity.....today was a brisk 96 and no wind.....sure glad I have Shade Trees!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »
I'm glad I live south , :P yeah it's been a real mutha.Only I live real close to the gulf/bay it's only been a 96/96 temp/humidity mix.I seen a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking.My hats are off to yall who live inland
cool it would ya
Big pile of sweltering bones
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:49:12 pm »
 We've been the same as Bonepile, except, I'm the poor soul that lives inland. We've been setting records here. I don't mind the heat, just hate the clouds of mosquito's as soon as you try to sit down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »
65-70 and the living is easy! Nice cool breezes off the Puget Sound. SSSSOOOOOOOO nice to live in paradise!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
Nice points ya got there Jaeger! Some triangular, corner notched, side notched, stemmed, serrated ;D. Careful when ya get the dacite, easy to make - easy to break. So where are you and what's your temps?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:05 pm »
/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:32:33 pm by Jaeger »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:10:08 pm »
  Welllll Tiller, If it's sooo nice, let's see some points. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:53 am »
I'm between Puget Sound and the Pacific and it was 78 today, according to the WeatherBug.  Almost too warm, but I went out and knapped a couple points anyway; pics attached.   I submit that they looked a hell of a lot nicer in my hand than in the pictures.  I gotta get a new camera!  Thanks all of you guys for posting your points as it gives me something to shoot for.

Timo;  Thanks for posting the rock run thread.  That's just the info I need.  I'll be in Springdale, AR, in a couple weeks and I'll be heading up toward Joplin to look for that quarry.  Does the quarry have a name?  What highway is it off of?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:27:12 am »
Its been in the 90's here in southern Indiana, but a cold front is comming. It will be 87 with thunderstorms tomorrow. Yesterday me and a buddy was chippin' rocks on the front porch with a fan on us. Mommy doesn't like me chippin' in the house, I don't know why... ::) Something about diggin' shards out of the bottom of her foot , I think... 
Nice point Newbow, obsidian is like a woman, beautiful and could cut ya deep if you don't treat it with respect!  :D
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:04:27 am »
we got to a frigid overnight low of 84 today....supposed to be near 105 for a High
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome