Author Topic: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet  (Read 191301 times)

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
Re: 1 month living on a wild diet
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »
Very interesting stuff, keep it up. I'm not very primitive, more traditional  ;D
However I think I should know what to do when I get lost (When not if  ;D)
Cattails, panfish, crayfish, and squirrel is the farthest ive been to a wild diet.
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2011, 12:12:47 am »
The purslane is just starting to gow in between the rows of my garden....I see a purslane and chive salad in my near future!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:24 am »
   My hats off to you. I did alot of survile camping (we did'nt call it primitive) when I was in my teens and early 20's and I've went a week before and it sucked at first. But was'nt so bad after a couble trips. I can see that is said about what happens after a while. WE STAYED ALONG A WATER SYSTEMS AND FISHED AND TRAPPED. I was a trapper at the time so it was'nt so hard. But I sure learneD the finer points of snareing. Do you snare jamie any if not give it a try. It's sure carryed me.
  LIKE I SAID MY HATS OFF TO YOU
                                GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline merriick1990

« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2011, 03:10:19 am »
very very interesting! i will be going to pick up some edible plant books for Ohio here in the next few days and definitely going to give this a try sometime! very inspirational!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2011, 08:21:27 am »
crooked arrow i have used snares before but not an expert. mostly squirrel lines. im better with deadfalls . i do carry wire with me when i go camping though, our campsite in upstate new york is loaded with cottontails and ive snared a few. definitely something i need to get better at.

merriick. i highly recommend books by samuel thayer and a new book ancestral plants by arthur haines. these two have dispelled a lot of the nyths surrounding wild edibles
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2011, 11:51:38 am »
Dang Jamie, snaring is easier than a deadfall. I can snare most things, but I have never had success with a deadfall.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2011, 05:14:06 pm »
Good thread, very inspiring! I've done cattails, dandelion, and berry fish, and bunny for a 2 week run the detox is rough but after that it is a great feeling.thanks for the pics.will be trying some of the yard veggies ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Wiley

Re: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2014, 05:54:17 am »
Feel like this would be interesting to try one of these days. I live on 100 acres, we have a 2 acre spring fed pond filled with catfish, bass, bluegill, crappie, snapping turtles, snakes, and frogs, and I'm not adverse to eating any of them. Outside of that we have about 40 pecan trees, hickory trees, lots of acorn producing oaks, blackberries, muscadines, mulberry, dandelion, wild plantain, and chanterel mushrooms. We have a pretty good herd of deer, rabbits, squirrels, and some other forest creatures I might consider if I was hungry.

I don't know as many of the wild edibles as I would like to in order to give myself a completely balanced diet. I don't know enough of the natural carbohydrates, my diet would be filled with an overload of protein and not enough of everything else. I guess about a cup of pecans throughout the day would give me a healthy amount of fat.

I might try collecting and preserving all of the edibles I can as they come into season and try it during hunting season. If I go for this sort of diet for a month, I want it to be as balanced and healthy as possible. Collecting the things available and squirreling them away will allow that. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:50 pm »
wow amazing jamie!!!! :OK :OK :OK :OK :o :o :o :o
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2019, 05:47:13 pm »
Deerhunter21, you do realize Jamie's post is 9 yrs old. Bob