Author Topic: 1 Month Living on a Wild Diet  (Read 191295 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: 1 month living on a wild diet
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:04:04 pm »
I would have starved to death by now.  If I'm not getting about 4000 calories a day I can't function. ;D  More power to ya.
Traverse City, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 10:21:53 pm »
Have you gotten too hungry to update us. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 11:29:04 pm »
 Anticipating those pictures ::). Where ya at Jamie ;)?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08:43 am »
sorry fellas. been workin my but off. i have a few pics. my camera died the other day . i'll be getting more this weekend.

first one is plantain. lawn weed. it was introduced by the europeans as a vegetable. its healthier than spinach. the seed pods contain a lot of vitamins also . including some of the b vitamins. this is my main source of daytime nurishment.

my main source of protein right now. these were cooked in the burdock leaves they are laying on. done on hot coals. delicious

this is the flower stem from the burdock plant. burdock is an incredible plant. its a cleansing plant. helps to detoxify the liver and strengthen the system. the root from first year plants is used as a vegetable. or tea. i use the root from the older plants as tea and eat the younger. the flower stalk can be peeled and eaten. very similar to water chestnuts in asian food. this one was getting woody so i chewed the juices out and spit out the pulp.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:01 am »
im gonna try to hit the water again tonight and gather some cattail parts for flour and vegies. then i'll do a how to on removing the starch from the roots and making ash cakes with elder flowers in em. chocalate chips would be better but not this month.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:13 am »
Awesome stuff. I didn't know about plantain, and had no idea it was edible.

This is too cool :)

Offline jamie

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 09:11:47 pm »
wanted to add this byline that just because i can eat certain wild foods doesnt mean everybody can. many plants contain tannins, latex etc that can cause illness or allergic reactions. you need to know your foods and yourself.

kegan its a great edible plant as well as medicinal. my kids will grab plantain for a cut rather than a bandaid. grab a leaf , chew it up and apply to wound. it has great healing properties. ive used it on a copperhead bite and it reduced the damage from the bite a lot. i only lost the skin in the immediate area of the bite rather than most of the skin on the top of my hand.

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 10:29:50 pm »
milkweed and groundnut. for dinner tonight. the tubers come from groundnut (apios americana) and the flowers and buds from the milkweed plant are quite delicious. no meat today didnt have time to fish or shoot. like my little byline warning stated both of these plants have latex in them . some people could have a reaction to these. the books tell you to boil the milkweed in 2 changes of water to remove the bitter latex, i dont. i just steam them a bit. i have eaten them raw also. the groundnut ill boil just to soften.

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »
i'll take pictures of the whole groundnut plant sometime this weekend

waterbury, ct

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »
This is cool stuff Jamie :). I don't think I could ever pull something like that off. 

Offline jamie

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 01:32:15 pm »
right now im wishing i waited. Gonna continue just busier than hell. Went 2 days so far without eating much. Gonna go fishing tonight. Protein will be good. Dont want to use the venison but i may if this keeps up. Peace

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:31 am »
Thanks for the pictures Jamie, very interesting! Ahh, good ole perch - kept many a young man alive on foraging weekend's ;D. You got my attention, I'm enjoying this..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
was with some friends yesterday and i could smell everything they were eating from quite some distance away. so my sense of smell is hightened.

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:34:47 am »
was with some friends yesterday and i could smell everything they were eating from quite some distance away. so my sense of smell is hightened.
That's called getting really HUNGRY ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:54 am »
yup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waterbury, ct