Author Topic: Dowel rods  (Read 9966 times)

CodyCoyote

Dowel rods
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:20:54 pm »
Im new to making arrows but im making a bow So i will need arrows, can I buy dowel rods from a hardware store and use that for arrow shafts? I cant find river cane to use.  Also how do you fletch your arrows? Do you use a jig or wing it? Will crow wing feathers make good fletchings? I didnt save the feathers from the turkey I shot.

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Dowel rods
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
you'de have to spine them (match their bendieness to your bows draw weight) or it could be a dangerous thing to do

im gonna order bulk dowels b/c i just built a spine tester, they work fine if spined

CodyCoyote

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:59:46 pm »
Any other cheap easy way to make arrows that wont blow up on me?

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »
make a spine tester :D
been there, thought that ::)

its honestly really easy

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:23:42 pm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:51 pm »
You can make very good arrows from dowels if you are particular about picking them out. Find ones that don't have severe grain run offs and that feel about the same when you bend them. If they are too stiff you can sand the center of the shaft to reduce the spine.
  Initially, leave the dowels long then reduce the length until you find a length that shoots best or your bow at your draw length.
   Depending on the draw weight of your bow, 5/16" to 3/8" dowels work best for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:11:58 am »
YEah, I've used dowels and they work great.  Like Pat said, make sure the ones you choose don't have any grain run off strongly to one side.  I've made them and they work very well, and fly surprisingly straight.  You might have to do some experimenting with different dowels to find the ones that fly best off your bow.  Once you do, try to get ones with the same stiffness (and of course pick the ones that are the straightest).  And yes, crow feathers will work well for fletching.  Tip them with sharp stone points and they will be absolutely deadly. 

I shot some dowel arrows out of a 30-lb bow that I made for a girl, and they flew surprisingly well....and surprisingly fast.  I wouldn't have hesitated to hunt deer with that set up because it shot so well. 
Marietta, Georgia

CodyCoyote

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:34:25 pm »
Thanks thats what i will use, now i need a crow...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
I only use dowel rods ;D. I order birch ones form a craft's place down in Texas. I order 100-200 and spine them out- culling ones with severe run offs. However, I've notced that when you use big feathers (like high shield backs) you can get away with unspined arrows for close range practice. I had alot of 90-100+ spined arrows that I turned itno nutters or blunts or Tarantulas for stump shooting. I use 3/8" and they spine out for my bows at 70-85# and my brother's bows, 60-65#, with some lighter and many stiffer. Teh require straightenning and a little snading, but that's it.

I've also used corw, they work well. Not as good as turkey or goose, but definately cheaper ;)

We use a fletching jig. I've done alot by hand, but I prefer a fletching jig now.

CodyCoyote

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 03:01:47 pm »
I think the best thing to will do is experiment, Im buying two good dowels, making ( or trying) my own arrow and seeing what I like best. For 49 cents a crow and a rock I might like it. Which style would be better to flectch. Like the cherrokee or one on each side glued on?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 03:44:27 pm »
Three glued on works, but Cherokee two-fletch is pretty reliable. It's also easier with crow featehrs, as they're harder to split than turkey :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:40 am »
With smaller feathers like from a crow I like to use either 3 or 4, laid backside down around the shaft. When viewed from the nock or point end it will have a helical effect. These are attached with a wrap at the forward and rear ends only.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:05 am »
I use dowels for all my arrows, I have the same advice as everyone else, no severe grain run off and try to spine them as you pick them out. I just bend them by hand, not probably the most accurate method but I can usually hit what i'm shooting at.
SW Utah

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »
Howdy  Group,

Hey, regarding getting correct spine from dowels,  PatB just said, "If (the dowels) are too stiff you can sand the center of the shaft to reduce the spine.
  Initially, leave the dowels long then reduce the length until you find a length that shoots best or your bow at your draw length."

Is this correct?  I mean, can I simply sand the center areas of my dowels until I get the spine I want, and the arrows will then fly well?

Cool!!  And Thanks - I thought I would have to get a consistant diameter across the whole shaft.

Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:42:22 am »
You don't want the center too much thinner than the ends. You will have to be selective when you buy them. Flex the dowels and choose similarly bending dowels with good grain.
 You can thin the entire dowel by chucking it in an electric drill and with sandpaper around the dowel run the drill while you work the sand paper up and down the shaft.Test flex often.