Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 200936 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2007, 10:16:50 pm »
Arrow idea sounds great mullet. Pat since we are shooting for 50# and everybody knows we always get the exact weight we aim for  ;) should we start the sourwood shoots for practice arrows.  Ill put reinforced self nocks on them and fletch them.  Did you have another idea for the field points or should I just put on some regular points? Or if someone wants something to do to participate, I can leave the points or fletching for them.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2007, 10:26:10 pm »
Something like this. Give me your thoughts and be honest, I am a big boy.

Obvisously this might not work with the backing we end up with so again, I am open to thought and ideas.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »
  I think it would look good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2007, 01:42:50 am »
Skeaterbait, I love the concept but lets wait for the finished bow so you can decide on the combination. Those tip overlays will add a touch of class.
  Thoughts on the arrows...I had thought of doing 6 arrows but with 3 differant woods; sourwood(Oxydendron aboreum), privot(Ligustrum japonicum) and buffalo nut(pyrularia pubera). I thought this would give a good representation of our available natural arrow woods. They should have 3 stone points(one on each type) and a target point on the other 3.  Cowboy has offered to make and send the 3 stone points and I will make the 3 target points with the metal strips(and idea) Kenneth sent me last year. If anyone wants to haft the stone points they are welcomed to do so. If not, I can.
   Steve Parker has also offered cane arrows. We can split that up too...and the type of cane is up to the builder.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2007, 02:32:09 am »
Another thought I had...Pappy and Greg could save any cut offs from the guava stave and that could be cut into the spine material for the arrow's self nocks or fore shafts. Just a thought at 1:02am!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2007, 06:14:53 am »
We will save anything that is left.From the pictures I don't know how much there will be.
By the way the knife is going out today.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2007, 07:39:51 am »
great.  thanks pappy.

i will make a side stalker style stitchless quiver (except with a closed top, to protect the fletching, when it rains) and incorporate the sheath into it.

now we need a decision on the number of arrows.  the quiver will have individual "compartments" for the heads, so it would be nice to know if it's six or twelve.  if i make 12 and we come up with 6 arrows, we'll look cheap.  if i make 6 and we come up with 12 arrows, half of them can't be stored in the quiver.

also, can the pointknappers give me some rough dimensions (length, width) of the anticipated points?  doesn't have to be metric  ;D

one more question for the fletchers: what do you expect the length from the front wrapping on the fletches to the end of the arrow (including nock) to be?  am i safe to assume 7" (5"-6" fletching plus 1" for the tail end, including nock)?  overall arrowlength (including tip and nock) i will assume 30".

did i mention that i'm excited?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:22:55 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2007, 09:55:34 am »
Dustybaer: I'm not exactly certain how many arras at this POINT myself, I'm just going to send a bunch of points to Pat. The one's I do make are going to be roughly 3/4" to 1" wide by about 1 1/2" X 2" long - roughly???
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2007, 04:52:38 pm »
Pat, I could also do a couple of salt cedar.  I also have a large chunk of guava that I cut off a stave I got from Manny.  I could make spined nocks on the salt cedar and send them to you with the rest of the guava.  There is enough guava to do all the nocks. Man it sure is fun messing with Pat's head. SORRY Pat. ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:24 pm »
  I'm going to back out of this one.I've just got too much going on right now.Sorry guy's
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:20 am »
Dang Eddie. I hate to see you back out.  Just take a deep breath and relax for a minute.
  It is getting a bit confusing. We need to decide on how many arrows and who's gonna make them. I'm good for 3 or 6 hardwood shoot shafts and whatever else. Four people can made 3 each if we need. or maybe we should concentrate on a matched set of 6. It doesn't matter to me but we should decide.     Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2007, 06:43:38 am »
Ok guys I am getting a little mixed up[Don't take much] When GregB get the stave tillered who do we send it to.I haven't got it yet but I need to make a list.I'm getting confused with the frindship bow.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2007, 07:55:02 am »
to skeaterbait for tipoverlays?  not sure, but wouldn't that be the next step?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2007, 08:36:54 am »

Pappy, I was just going to help assist you with tillering. Pretty much what we often do when one of us is making a bow...second set of eyes. I can do some sanding to prep the bow for whoever next is in line. Don't know who is supposed to get the bow next.

I think we need to document who is doing what to the bow and in what sequence, so everyone will know who to send the bow to next.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2007, 09:27:11 am »
Dustybaer says it goes to skeaterbait gets it next.Hope the stave is here before I leave Sunday.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good