Author Topic: string silencers  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

string silencers
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:45 pm »
Hi all!  I'm new here and I have a question.  What is the preferred material used for fur sting silencers?  Long or short fur?  Thin or thick fur?  Also how long of a section of string do you cover?  Thanks

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: string silencers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:55:42 pm »
Swamp, I now use sheep fleece that is about 1/4" deep fur. I have used skunk, beaver, muskrat and others. I generally use a strip that it 1/4" wide by 2" to 3" long. What the string silencer does is mute the vibration of the string. Many selfbows are quite enough that you don't need to put silencers on. I use them because I like the way they look.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:12:25 am »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »
Pat B:

Thanks.  I assume you like denser fur with med. hair length (sheep fleece).  My bow is not very quiet, I'm being forced to use an modern recurve.  Something I will remedy ASAP.  I just don't want to rush it, since we all know that rush jobs always give the best results!  :o  I tie flys, so I've got all sorts of fur strips to play with.  I also have some raw coon pelts (ex-chicken predators  >:D) and some raw meat rabbit pelts too (bright white though).

DanaM:

Nice link.  Will file that one away for sure.

Thanks again

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:08 pm »
Beaver, muskrat, skunk all work well. I often use those beaver strips that I get for fly tying.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.